Tuesday, 20 March 2007

Sew Pretty Handbag


As my reward for finishing a UFO to top-stage on Sunday, I hopped off the UFO-treadmill and started on a handbag that I saw Eleanor Burns make on an old episode of Quilt in a Day. I liked it because it was quick and easy, made from beautiful 30s fabrics and so prettified that it is likely almost useless, lol.
I finished it tonight after work and am quite pleased with it. Eleanor decorated the front of hers with a half-Grandmother's Flower Garden Hexagon, but I have used half of a vintage crocheted doiley with a butterfly pattern. I bought the doiley at a charity shop for .50 pence but it still required an act of courage to cut it in half. But this way it is on display and being used, which must be better than living under my bed in my two large bags of vintage filet crochet which I have collected over the years and have absolutely nowhere to display.
The bag is fully lined, with an internal pocket, and I have used a different fabric for the front, back and bottom. The outside fabric is strengthened with the application of medium fusible web. The top edge is finished with the insertion of rick-rack which is how Eleanor did hers. I will have to watch out for a really beautiful vintage button to use on the closure, but for now I have used a modern button that looks vintage.
Going back to my finished top, we were discussing on #QuiltChat whether a UFO finished to top-stage (but not yet sandwiched and quilted) is still considered a UFO, or whether it has moved upwards to a higher plane of existence. Some felt that until it is quilted and bound it remains a UFO, but personally I feel that once it is in the pile to be quilted, it is off my UFO radar. I enjoy piecing much more than quilting, but sometimes I am in the mood to sandwich something and quilt it - however, not very often so unless I send things out to a long-armer, the pile of tops never seems to get any smaller.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Love your bag........it looks so vintage!!

swooze said...

Pretty bag! Love it and the doily....get those UFOs quilted!! LOL

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]