Thursday, 12 April 2007

Delivery Hell

I spent most of today in Delivery Hell - you know, the terrible limbo where you think a delivery is coming but you have no idea when, so you don't dare stray out of earshot of the doorbell because you know the moment you set foot into the garden, or the attic, or the shower, will be the millisecond that they knock on the door before deciding you aren't home and leaving.

To compound my delivery hell, I also had two workmen in the house - they were supposed to arrive at 8:00 a.m. and actually showed up at 7:30 a.m. while I was still eating my breakfast. They didn't finish until 1:00 pm, during which time I felt I had to stay with earshot. I couldn't even go and sew, because I had to pack up most of my sewing room to clear the area in front of the bedroom windows, because that's what the workmen needed to get at. To pass the time, I tried to get through to the company who were supposed to be making the delivery, and found myself in a subsidiary annexe of delivery hell, which is automated telephone answering service hell. Press '2' if you are calling about a delivery, we're sorry all our operators are currently busy, press '1' if you want to hold (line goes dead) or '2' if you want to leave a message ("we're sorry, that mailbox is currently full and we can not take any more messages"). By 2:00 p.m. I was beginning to wonder if the delivery was even booked for today, when suddenly I was through to a Human Being! I was so shocked that I actually forgot how to speak for a moment and must have sounded like a right idiot. The Human Being was also surprised because she had been speaking to another customer when suddenly she lost them and got me instead. However, she was happy to look up my order number (I wonder how happy the other customer was though) and confirm that my delivery was booked for today, and would arrive sometime before 6:00 p.m. Yippee. Well, they finally turned up at 4:00 p.m., but just to show that they weren't giving in entirely, the delivery guy only brought two of the three boxes. When queried as to the whereabouts of the third box, he just looked at me cluelessly and suggested that it might turn up another day.

Meanwhile, I was making cheese. Yes, faced with interminable hours stuck in my own kitchen, I thought this was as good a time as any to tackle the cheese board Fimo kit that we received at the last dollshouse club meeting, the one with the really complicated instructions. Three hours later, after much mixing, baking, painting and varnishing, I have a 1/12th scale cheeseboard that I am rather pleased with.



3 comments:

Kathy Wagner said...

Oh my gosh...you are too funny! I laughed out loud several times reading about your adventure!!
You are a great writer with a wonderful sense of humour...hope you were laughing today too!

Jane Weston said...

That cheese board looks so real!!! You are making me hungry :o)

Quilting Kim said...

I can so related to your Delivery Hell story. However, your cheese board looks great and oh so lifelike.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]