Friday, 20 April 2007

Jinxed

This is my completed Spiderweb block, made with the challenge fabrics from the block kit that arrived from the Sisters quilt show in Oregon. First of all, I have to say that I think this block looks like something that somebody threw up (perhaps after a breakfast of cheerios and blackcurrant juice). I don't really think these fabrics go together at all - but obviously somebody does, and it is all a matter of personal taste, yada yada. But working on this block gave me a headache if I looked at it too long. Secondly, I seem to have been jinxed on this one. I started out pretty blithely -what can go wrong on a 12 1/2" block? I chose a pattern that would use all five challenge fabrics, I printed off the Spiderweb foundations from Blockbase on the computer in a 12 inch finished size, the block kit came with loads of fabric - childs play. I think it all started to go wrong when I was cutting the final strips for the outermost/widest bands on the triangles, and I remember feeling slightly smug that I was actually going to have fabric left over. Of course, two seconds later when I sat down at my sewing machine, I realised that because these were the widest ends of the triangles, I was actually going to need one more strip from two of the fabrics - and, of course, what I had left was not wide enough on one fabric and not long enough on either of them. Cue much muttering and piecing together - on the orange fabric I only had to piece one seam, but on the piles-of-jellybeans fabric I actually had to piece together four scraps. Bang go any hopes of winning the competition - but as the winners will receive quilt tops made out of these fabrics, I am not exactly gutted. I just wanted to get through it and submit the block and it will not win and will get used for a charity quilt. So I finished, having a bit of trouble with my centre matching up, but making sure to cut the corner triangles plenty big, so I would have at least a quarter inch of excess fabric all around to square up the block. Final blow -the block is exactly 12 and 1/4 inches square. The rules very specifically say 12 1/2 inches square. Contemplate falling onto rotary cutter in ritual suicide.

So I don't know what happened there. Perhaps my printer is not printing off exactly 100% correct size? It can't really be seam allowances because it was pieced on foundations. I don't know whether to play dumb and just send it off as it is, or perhaps try pressing the h**l out of it with steam to see if I can grow it 1/8th of an inch all around, or perhaps take it apart vertically and horizontally and reduce the seam allowance between wedges to 1/8".

So there you go - beaten by a 12 and a half inch block. I'm so ashamed...

4 comments:

swooze said...

I am glad you didn't choose these fabrics. Wonder if it is different in a completed top..... I hate when things don't go as planned but have taken on the attitude of make do and get it done. Press the heck out of it and toss it into and envelope and get over it! :D

Kathy Wagner said...

You are so funny...I'm laughing out loud again reading your blog!
I was wondering what you would make with that fabric!
I vote for pressing it into submission!

Greenmare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greenmare said...

oops, had typos, had to delete my own comment.
Cheerios and blackberry juice, hmmm sort of one of those "what were they thinking" choices?
I bet you can just steam the bejeebers out of it and be done. Then won't you feel better?

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]