Monday, 2 April 2007

Repair Guy

Well, I spent some time on the phone today with Repair Guy at the sewing machine shop, who has now had my machine to work on twice, and I am expecting a third time as I describe to him the loud knocking noise that has once again stopped me from sewing on my Janome 6500. "Oh!", he says in a tone of mild surprise, "when it came up here last time I didn't have to do any work on it, it was only that the needle threader hadn't sprung back up to its highest position. I just pushed the threader up and it was fine, no more noise." Through gritted teeth I suggested that if he had put a note in with the machine to that effect, then I wouldn't have lost a weekend of sewing time. He agreed with me quite pleasantly, but Repair Guy obviously did not really care whether my sewing time had been interrupted. I have noticed this syndrome before, in other Repair Guys, they really don't get it how we sewers are emotionally bonded with our machines and how having them out of action is like losing an arm or something. Their other annoying tendency is, under close questioning as to why some problem is occurring, to suddenly reveal some previously unknown information about the machine in a voice like "this is completely obvious and I am bored to have to tell you something that everyone knows", then they come out with something that is nowhere to be found in the manual nor on any website. Like with a Husqvarna machine I owned once, no matter how I threaded it, it just kept making big loops like the tension disks were malfunctioning, and Husqvarna Repair Guy released the information to me that I needed to give a VERY firm tug to the thread after I had put it into the tension disks, to seat the thread in properly. Today, Janome Repair Guy, when questioned as to why my thread keeps catching inside the take-up lever area and snapping, reluctantly divulged that these high-speed semi-industrial machines have a little spring in the take-up lever to keep the thread in the arm of the lever, and if you don't tug firmly on the thread to snap it into that little spring, then you might have problems. Well thank you very much, why couldn't you have told me that after the first service when I reported the take-up lever issue as one of my problems? Of course I did not say this out loud, because you never know when you will need to be on the good side of Repair Guy.

And when I got home, pushing my needlethreader up or down seems to have no effect on the knocking noise although it did stop and start a few times. I reserve judgement. I need to do some proper sewing to test it out and I don't have time today.

I did have time, however, to strain my eyes making a tiny pillow for my tiny little bed for my 144th scale roombox, with a tiny little scrap of lace on it, and a tiny chair with a tiny ruffle - and there went another hour and a half. For an end product which would vanish instantly if I happened to sneeze. Maybe crafters are all mad... (It was so fun though!)

2 comments:

swooze said...

OK again you have me giggling madly and I, again, must profess my love for you and your wit! Keep gathering those tips and mail them to me regularly. I completely agree with all you have said about Repair Guy.....

Kathy Wagner said...

Oh you are so funny! You have a great way of describing what we all go through with "Repair Guy"!!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]