Saturday, 12 May 2007

Stashbuster topic of the week

The Stashbuster topic of the week was "Do you prefer to work from patterns & follow them to the letter or do you prefer to get ideas from patterns & then just \"go with the flow\"? Most of my quilting career I have made copies of other people's designs, but I have to say that the last few years I have been feeling that this type of copying is less creative than when I try to make up something entirely or mostly from scratch. And it is the quilts where I have contributed the most originality that I feel most proud of, somehow they just feel 'better' than the quilts where I have just copied someone else's ideas.

In general, I would say I get my inspiration from the designs of others, either from actual patterns or from photographs I've seen in books and magazines. I am capable of reproducing simple quilts from photographs without a pattern, but I do rely heavily on a visual reference for choosing the fabric values and 'feel' of the quilt, less heavily for the actual colours. I don't feel I am very artistic or imaginative at coming up with original ideas, but once I have a starting point I am pretty comfortable doing minor tinkering or using my own techniques to achieve the same result.

When I do follow a pattern, I rarely follow it to the letter, and this would be partly because I think I know an easier way to do it ('think' being the operative word here, doesn't always turn out to be true), or because I've made a mistake and have to undertake some creative bodging to get to the end result.



I think I come closest to being artistic when I have to make something from a given starting point, for example, the blocks from a Round Robin. For example, I coordinated an Internet Round Robin many years ago and I asked for appliqued house blocks. I received a variety of blocks from the participants, in many different sizes, on different backgrounds. It took me a while but one day I took the plunge, got out the seam ripper, and liberated those houses from their backgrounds and reassembled them into a landscape, adding in bits of landscape, trees etc. to fill in gaps, to produce my quilt "The Neighbourhood".




Another Round Robin, which was the usual borders-around-a-centre process, needed some major surgery to replace or resize a couple of the contributions, and then sat around for years because I didn't know what to do with it. The chance gift of a number of Anvil blocks from someone else's unsucessful Block robin (they were different sizes so she didn't want them) gave me the inspiration to finish off this quilt which I called Almost Amish.





I sometimes take my inspiration from the fabric, like this lap quilt top made from Civil War fabrics. I didn't know what I was going to do with these blocks I'd made until a friend gave me the vertical sashing fabric (which she thought was too ugly and she didn't know what to do with it - when she saw this top, she wished she'd kept it).




But having to make up a design entirely from scratch is still majorily out of my comfort zone and I don't feel these quilts are generally very successful. I ran a mystery medallion quilt project with my group last year, we started with a centre block and then I set rules as to the dimensions and theme of each border, but people could use their own fabrics and do whatever they wanted. Of course, this meant that I also had to make a medallion quilt, and apart from deciding to use my blue & white fabric collection, I felt very much at a loss particularly as the quilt grew and grew. I'm still not very happy with the result, which has a 'Blue & White China' theme, and it isn't quilted yet.



3 comments:

Meredith said...

Your quilts are beautiful. Good luck with your machine. I think being in a round robin sounds like fun. I have never been in one.

swooze said...

I stand in awe! Your neighborhood quilt is fantastic!

Kathy Wagner said...

Are you kidding me?!?!?
These quilts are amazing and very creative! WOW! All "one of a kind" and wonderful. Your neighbourhood quilt reminds me a bit of Newfoundland, but it is too green and not enough grey rock to be Newfoundland!
Happy Mother's Day!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]