Then I got busy on the Chelsea Tote by Lazy Girl Designs, and got most of it done, and I finished it up today (Sunday). This went together really well, and I was impressed at how thorough the instructions were. I made a few changes: I put a zip on the outside pocket, and another zip on one of the inside pockets, for added security. I also layered the cover with very heavy interfacing to make it fairly stiff - the pattern only calls for a single layer of batting and fabric which would make a very floppy bag.
I used the recommended Bag-E-Bottom (7" square acrylic) in the bottom of the bag but found that my bag actually came out more like 8"x 7" in the bottom, which is odd as I followed the instructions pretty closely, must be a seam allowance thing. Having made this tote, and I am pleased with it, I would say that having an almost square bottom makes it less comfortable to use as a tote, and even as a knapsack I think I would prefer it not to stick out so much from my back. If it had a rectangular bottom that was, say, 4 inches wide, I think it would work better. I will use it for a while and see if I get used to it, but I think I might make another one in a rectangular shape but using the same general principles. It is also not really that big, which surprised me because you start with a pretty big piece of fabric (27" x 36") - again, I guess that having to go around a square bottom takes up more fabric. I certainly wouldn't be able to cram my usual motley commuter's collection into it (English weather is very unpredictable, so this time of year I am travelling to and from work with sun glasses, sun hat, umbrella, and sometimes a light coat, as well as all the other usual female debris that we gals like to haul about, and also a book to read on the train).
I finished my cardigan in Rowan Biggy Print wool. This was a pattern called Penny in the Rowan Big Wool leaflet, and in the picture it looked like a slim fitting chanel-type jacket. My stitch tension was spot on (I adjusted for row tension) and I blocked the finished pieces to the given measurements. But when I sewed it up and put it on - I looked like a big pink linebacker! The sleeves were too loose, but the worst thing was that the weight of all that big wool just pulled the whole sweater down off the shoulders and it looked absolutely terrible. Very disappointing and no mention at all in the pattern leaflet of how to deal with the problem. I tried a cord between the shoulder seams to take some of the weight but in the end I had to admit that I would never wear it if I left the sleeves on. So I took them back off and now I have a very expensive Biggy Print waistcoat instead. DH says it looks like something Sonny & Cher would have worn - I'm going to ignore him.