Friday, 29 June 2007
News and Views
My Freestyle Quilting Frame has finally arrived! This is Box one, which released a lovely smell of quality plywood when I opened it. Box Two is much bigger and heavier and has the poles and rails in it. There are a few pages of instructions and a CD on assembly. I am pleased to have it, but I think assembly and testing is going to have to wait until I get back from Sisters towards the end of July. I don't have room or time to tackle it right now. I spent a couple of hours today choosing 12 fabrics for my Mystery quilt class in Sisters and doing the pre-cutting today - it is so hard when you don't know what the quilt will look like. Plus I was working from my stash, and I have a terrible majority of medium-value, small print fabrics, I seem to find it very hard to buy big prints or dark colours. Other than that, I am procrastinating heavily about actually packing anything, I will likely panic in a few nights and do something.
The other great news is that I got my Featherweight 222 running! I sat down with the manual, some Singer oil, and some Singer Lube that my American friend kindly sent over to me (because I couldn't find any here) and worked through the steps in the manual to disassemble, reassemble, and oil/lube. And when I tried it afterwards, it ran! I am so pleased. I am still a bit dubious about the electrics, but I have decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
At Malvern I purchased a pack of 11 FQs from the 'By the
Sea' collection. The FQ packet came with the picture (no pattern) of a wallhanging (at left)- I don't know if this was designed by the shop, Lady Sew & Sew or by the fabric company. I bought it because the wallhanging reminded me of our favourite place ever for a holiday, which is the Duver, a beach near St. Helens on the Isle of Wight, which we have visited many times on family holidays. Therefore I slightly redesigned the wallhanging to look more like the Duver, which has its beach huts to the right, and a Napoleonic gun fort out in the Channel (I had to blank out a couple of light houses on the fabric and change one into a gun fort). I still have one more element to add, which is the ancient church tower standing to the left of the picture (all that is left of the old church of St. Helens). Techniques used are a mixture of normal seaming, machine applique, and fusible applique. It will have borders eventually but probably not until I get back from Sisters.
This site is owned by
Want to join a