Sunday, 25 November 2007

Busy weekend

I'm taking a break from the Planet Patchwork online mystery quilt (just finished step 2, waiting for step 3 to be posted) so I thought I would catch you up on my busy weekend.

First of all, I finished my other Ridged Feather pattern sock - and here is a pic with one of our cats, Colin, inspecting the handiwork. Being jet black, he doesn't photograph very well.












Second, Saturday was my sewing club day. I didn't get as much done as I had optimistically expected - by the time I make the announcements, hand out the instructions for our new group project (I've designed a sampler quilt in EQ6 to do as a block of the month), collected the dues (a share of the hall rental money) and made the first cup of tea (yes, I am a dogsbody), there is only about 90 minutes until lunch time. But I did get the borders on my vintage Lone Star. There is such a big difference between the poor waif that I bought from a dealer in Paducah, and its new incarnation with the star points adjusted, and reset into a blue background, and a border added.










I took my batik Easy Curves top for show & tell and because I thought I might get the borders on, and before I'd even finished it, it had sold. One of the other ladies wanted it for her granddaughter because she said it was all her favourite colours. I didn't have any special plans for it so I named a price which would cover the cost of the fabric (but still pretty pricey by low UK standards for buying handicraft). The lady blanched a bit, but agreed. I felt a bit guilty so I threw in some binding and backing as well. I sewed on the borders when I got home, and we dropped it round to her house this morning. She's going to do the quilting herself. I think this must be a record for the shortest time I've owned a quilt that I made, lol.
























By coincidence, this was the same lady who was making my tablerunner from our earlier Brown Bag challenge (the one that had a deadline in September...) and she had finished it. It is an unusual block, and of course I love the fabrics that I gave her, so it will look nice on our table. It's nice to get it back finally and close off that chapter.







So I took the money she gave me on our outing to Eltham Palace, an English Heritage property on the other side of London. They were supposed to be having a craft fair, but we found out when we got there that it had been cancelled. We still went in and toured the house, a former Tudor palace which was converted in the 1920s into an Art Deco mansion for the wealthy Courtauld family, and had lunch in the tearoom, and a lovely walk in the autumn sunshine in the garden. On the way there and back, I started my new socks: the Cross Hatch Lace pattern from 'More Sensational Socks', using Lorna's Hand-Dyed Shepherd sock yarn in 'Wisteria' colourway that was part of my sock yarn haul from Alexander Palace show. The colours are just gorgeous, although they aren't striping like I thought, the sock is more blue on one side and more purple than the other. This picture shows my ribbing and the first repeat of the lace pattern.

2 comments:

swooze said...

Wow! Lots of lovely projects. The blue really made that lonestar sing! Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

You are really getting after those socks! They look great....size 10 US...just sayin'. :D

Jeanne said...

The Lonestar top has had a very successful makeover! Great rescue.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]