Tuesday, 13 November 2007

Tackling the deadlines

My last post attracted more comments (7) than I have ever had! Thank you everybody. Obviously, all that I had to do to attract your attention was to pick a really hard project, moan about it copiously for several posts, and then announce it was finished and post an eye-candy photo. :) Watch this space for my knitted shed cosy... (just kidding).


I posted the Paducah quilt today, and received quite a shock when the post office told me that their fastest service (3 days) would cost over $110!!!! I am using the exact same packaging that my long-arm quilter paid $45 for two-day service US to UK. I gulped and asked what was the next cheapest (5 days for over $90) and then the next and final price which was $70 for 15 days. Obviously I went with the 15 days, grudgingly and asking plaintively why the Americans seem to be able to offer a better service for half the price. I just hope the quilt doesn't get all wrinkled in the box for that long, I thought it would only be in it for a few days.

Anyway, now that it is finally gone, I can turn my attention to some of the other deadlines awaiting me, and then I can actually do something for fun!


This is the knitting bag that my work colleague commissioned me to make as a xmas present for her mother after seeing my one. The instructions are in a previous post here. I made the frill deeper on this one which I think looks better.
















I have also made twelve 144th scale coffee tables with flower arrangements on them, for a swap on Micro Minis. I am finding it harder to see things this size clearly without good daylight coming in the window, which is in short supply at this time of year - I think I am going to put an Ott light on my xmas prezzie list.







Then I could have some fun, and I made this batik handbag using a pattern I bought at Malvern back in May. The pattern is called 'Hannah's Bag' from http://www.patchworkcorner.co.uk/ and came with the handles. I have to say that it is not very well written, it is quite hard to figure out what they mean in a few places, and some measurements are not given so you have to guess, but the bag turned out pretty well. The drawstring closure means you can actually use it as a handbag rather than just a tote. The batiks are from a bunch I bought as remnants at Hancock's of Paducah in 2005. The handle came with the pattern. You can't see in this photo, but I free-motion quilted leaves in variegated thread across the pieces.




































I also knit this tiny sweater christmas decoration, using some of my leftover sock yarn. It is from a book called 'Miniature Sweaters' by Betty Lampen which I bought in San Francisco at the Imagiknit knitting shop. ISBN-0-9634890-0-3. I adapted the instructions to knit it in the round but it was a bit fiddly so I think the next one I will just knit flat. It would be kind of neat to knit a little sweater from each sock yarn that I use.












On Saturday I went to the first UK Stitch 'n Bitch Day up in London, with Debbie Stoller of Stitch 'n Bitch fame as the main attraction. To my surprise, I actually got a place on her limited numbers workshop - the organisers said that attendance would be by lottery but on the day it was the first 30 people to sign up. She showed us how to do double sided knitting, using a scarf from her latest book 'Son of Stitch 'n Bitch' as a sample pattern, and she even picked me out of the crowd to stand up with her for a quick roleplay (I was 'Miss Red' for anyone who attended the same workshop!). So that was my unexpected brush with a famous person for this weekend. I found the technique difficult, you have to bring both yarns to the front for the purl, and move them to the back for the knit stitch, and the two-handed technique I settled upon at my Fair Isle workshop just wouldn't cut it. I had to revert to holding both yarns in my left hand and laboriously picking up the colour I needed. Debbie did what she called 'pit knitting' - she stuck one needle under her left armpit, leaving her left hand free to dance around the needle with both colours so fast that you almost couldn't see the stitches forming. And she was talking at the same time. Still, the woman next to me didn't know how to cast on, so I didn't feel I was the complete dunce of the class, lol. I didn't buy anything, although there were traders there, and I enjoyed knitting some more on my sock in the knitting lounge where the entertainment was going on.

1 comment:

swooze said...

Actually I am sure getting the new webring on there and moving everyone around you probably landed more active folks.....nah....it was the whining!

Lots of finishes! Nice job on all!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]