Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Feeling a bit more christmas-y...

We've just come back from ds's school Christmas Service, held in the evening in a traditional English stone parish church, in a fairly posh neighbourhood near his school (nowhere near our house I hasten to add). Ds attends a fairly prestigious and traditional English boy's school, so there was a strong boys choir, a small brass ensemble and two organ scholars taking turns playing the massive church pipe organ. So the rafters were rattling as we barrelled through songs like O Come All Ye Faithful, Hark the Herald Angels Sing and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Very Christmassy and all rather posh (we are definitely not posh, so this was a treat for us).

After brooding over the work stuff for a few days (to the point where I had to make an emergency visit to the chiropractor today because my shoulder muscles were knotted so painfully), I have sent a formal note to my boss pointing out that retrospectively lowering my performance rating for 2007, when I was given no warning during the year, does not seem fair and reasonable, and asking for a response. This could be the opening correspondence of a formal grievance procedure, but it is likely not worth it as they will do what they want anyway. But at least I am not rolling over without a whimper.

I was actually off work today anyway as I had my consult with the plastic surgeon in the morning. He explained what he is going to have to do to remove the cancer on my nose, and it will be a day patient procedure with two weeks recommended off work (Yay!). We agreed to wait until after Christmas so it will likely be in January. It doesn't sound fun, apparently work on the nose is very tricky anyway, and my spot is rather large and the cancer may go down fairly deep into the tissues. He will cut some skin from near my ear to graft over the hole, and he said that the result might look a somewhat different contour from the other side of the nose. He also went into all the possible risks and bad things that could happen - yuk, let's hope I am lucky. Best case scenario is that after 2 to 3 months it will be fairly unobtrusive under makeup, so that would be good. Luckily, I am not very vain about my looks (but I am a little vain... aren't we all?).

1 comment:

Kathy Wagner said...

So sorry to hear about your health issues and your nasty work experience. You really need a holiday!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]