Thursday, 6 December 2007

What am I up to?

I feel like a bad blogger because I used to manage two posts a week, and lately it has only been one, so my apologies for that. There are a number of reasons: I've been busy at work; I'm spending a lot of free time either knitting or working on my big dollshouse that I'm building; and I haven't been feeling 100% well for a while as I have developed an allergic rhinitis for no apparent reason which makes me feel like I have a slight cold all the time. Coupled with my fading eyesight and hearing, and my nose cancer (appointment with the plastic surgeon next week), it all makes me feel like I am crumbling into a middle-aged crock at 46 years old. I can't remember the last time I woke up in the morning feeling refreshed and full of energy, but then my memory isn't what it used to be either... :)

Anyway, enough moaning about my minor health niggles. Now that it is getting colder here in the UK, I have put aside my sock to work on a sleeveless pullover to wear around the house. I had a bunch of RY Cashsoft DK that I got half-price when our local craft shop said they were going out of business (they didn't) and I am double stranding that to knit a bulky pattern called Boogie from Knitty.com. My new favourite thing to do is to curl up under a frayed-edge flannel quilt in the corner of our L-shaped sofa, with my knitting and preferably a nice drink, and watch something good on tv. I've got the back done, and am half-way up the front. This is the first time I have knit with double strands of anything, and I don't like it as much, the knitting looks a bit uneven but hopefully that will block out. But this is only to wear around the house, so it doesn't have to be perfect, just cosy.

I feel slightly ashamed of my hissy fit over the mystery quilt last week. Once I calmed down about it, I unpicked (in front of the tv) and resewed the borders. I think what had happened is that I had the left and right portions of that colourway, sewn onto the opposite border than where it belonged, if that makes any sense. Surprisingly (considering two of the fabrics have rosebuds on them) dh announced, after studying it on the wall for a while, that he quite likes it - he likes the graphic quality of it. So I guess when it gets quilted that he can have it. His old TV quilt (we all have at least one) was a Trip Round the World which is getting a bit worn out so maybe that can be his new tv quilt (and I will try hard not to tell him that he and his rosebuds look sweet together...).

I was surprised to get a 'letter' (a leaflet really, it wasn't personalised or dated) in today's post, from the Tom Bishop dollshouse show in Chicago in April. The leaflet announces that they have moved the show from the hotel where it normally is, due to renovations, to a completely different hotel, so we should all cancel our hotel arrangements and rebook at the new hotel. Luckily I was able to get a room at the new hotel, even though I probably got the leaflet later than American visitors, but it all seems rather casual and rather like shoving the inconvenience on down the line to us visitors. Makes me wonder if the traders (who must have made their advance plans as well) received any better treatment. I've just checked again and there isn't one word of apology in the letter, an interesting way of treating customers.

Christmas is coming, as I'm sure you all know. Last night was our town christmas celebration which was surprisingly well attended. We are basically a suburb of London, with a small neglected high street of shops (and several vacant), living in the shadow of the bigger town three miles down the road which has all the malls and restaurants etc. However, our town does put up a big christmas tree, and last night was 'Carols Around the Christmas Tree' put on by the Rotary Club, with a small amateur brass band from the Salvation Army. There must have been about 100 people there which is surprising, lots of families too, and Santa came too in a decorated convertible car. I went along (ds refused to come, at almost 13 years old he is too much above attending such tedious events with his embarassing mother) and sang a few carols. Then I checked out the Christmas fair, which was well attended but consisted almost entirely of local charities and good causes (churches, scouts, etc.) trying to make money, stall after stall of tombolas, raffles, throw the hoop over the wine bottle etc. I strolled around but tried not to make eye contact with any of the hopeful 'salespeople' all calling out "five tickets for a pound", although I did donate to the cancer charity that was being sponsored. I picked up a bag of cotton candy and brought it home to an appreciative dh, although of course I had to sample the goods on the way home.

Looking ahead to the holidays, I am wondering what my holiday sewing project is going to be. I always enjoy sewing on something festive to get into the christmas spirit. I have a pattern called 'Let it Snow' with lots of appliqued snowmen on it which I could work on, or there is the vintage log cabin which has all the strips cut out now. I suppose really I should be concentrating on finishing the dollshouse to get it off the dining table, but I think the family are all resigned to the fact now that it isn't going to happen. Luckily we don't have anyone coming over for christmas, and in fact my ambition is to do as little as possible on christmas day this year. I had a bit of an epiphany last year, after five hours in the kitchen, that I wasn't really enjoying myself, so this year I am aiming to misbehave... We will go down to the in-laws on Boxing Day.

Hope you are looking forward to a good holiday, and are feeling in control of whatever preparations you have in hand.

2 comments:

swooze said...

Hello my dear friend. Sounds like you are due for some rest as well. Glad you got the mystery project worked out. I really liked how it looked.

I have to go look at the dollhouse project too. It was really coming along when I last looked.

Good idea on the Christmas dinner. We don't really have anywhere to go but I have cooking the meal pretty down pat so no big deal!

Look forward to chatting with you soon.

Greenmare said...

As little as possible on Christmas day is an excellent goal~ I think my favorite Christmases have been the ones where we came home from church and stayed in our pj's all day and just vegged out~

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]