Monday, 21 January 2008

Feeling better today

I had my nose surgery on Saturday morning (to remove a local carcinoma) and after a few days of feeling a bit hot and woozy, I am starting to feel better today (Monday). The left side of my nose is all taped up, and I have another dressing on my hip from where they took the skin graft. I get the stitches out next Wednesday, by which time the lab results will be back and they will know if they got it all or not. It was fine, I was under about two hours, and home by 2:30 p.m. Dh is taking good care of me, and worked from home today in case I needed anything.



I did some more knitting while I was recuperating, and have finished the first mitten body. I haven't picked up for the thumb yet, but the mitten fits really well which is a pleasant outcome. As a new knitter, that isn't an outcome I can confidently expect.



I wanted to work on some UFO blocks that needed laying out first, so shamelessly playing the invalid card, I got dh to do all the hard work to cut and drill some wooden blocks so I could finally put my homemade portable design wall together. This is based on the commercial product available in the US at $129, which would have cost a whole lot more by the time it was shipped over here. Mine cost about $80, and would have cost less if I had owned a white flannel sheet already, but I didn't so I bought a good quality double flannel sheet in the sales last year. The poles are replacement shock corded tent poles from a camping supply store, 8.6mm in diameter, 3 packs at about $12 each. As well as the four sides, there are two cross-braces behind the sheet (one vertical, one horizontal). I cut down the sheet to the right size and sewed some wide hems, to end up with a design wall that is almost six feet square. It all breaks down into components that fit into a drawstring bag that I sewed up out of leftover white flannel. It needs to be leaned against a wall as it isn't freestanding like the commercial product, but I laid my blocks out on it and it worked great.

4 comments:

dot said...

Great mitten. I haven't mustered up the courage to try these yet. I have a pattern though. I like your design wall. I will have to check into this.

swooze said...

Love the mittens. You are so clever on the design wall! Do you have a place for that sucker??

Penny said...

That's a clever design for the design wall.

Kathy Wagner said...

Hope you feel better real soon. You should take it easy and do lots of quilting!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]