Saturday, 9 February 2008

Chewing my nails...

I tend to chew my nails when I am stressed, and currently they are disappearing fast. I've been practicing up for this interview (thanks Swooze for the practice interview questions) but I feel like a fool talking about myself. I am a do-er, not a talker. Unfortunately in my company it is the talkers who get ahead, whether or not they can actually 'do'.


I've finished my Norwegian mittens, just in time for spring here - it was a gorgeous sunny day today and my daffodils are opening in the garden. Having finished my first fair isle project, I fancied myself as hot stuff, and ordered a bunch of 2 ply jumper wool in the Jamieson & Smith February sale, planning to tackle a Kaffe Fassett vest called 'Little Circles' from his Glorious Knitting book. But when I sat down to knit a tension sample, it was a disaster. This pattern has three colours in each row, not two, and I made a complete mess of it, tangled yarns, crooked floats, misread the pattern, the lot. I think I'm going to wait until my Denise circulars show up from America and then try knitting a tension sample in the round, which might be easier since I won't have to purl the floats, but I'm still not sure how I am going to hold the three yarns. If I have to keep dropping one colour, it is going to take forever to knit. I knit continental, so for the mitten I was holding one colour in each hand.







My Rowan Denim yarn arrived and I spent an evening winding it into balls with my electric ball winder. However, when I went out to my knitting shed to get the ball winder, I discovered that there is a hole in the roof and the water has been pouring in and soaking a corner of the room. Luckily none of the machines are damaged but it is a mess. I've put a temporary patch on the roof and have been running a fan in there to try to dry it out. I also found that the ball winder wasn't working very well, I had to take it apart and found that the grease had gummed up since I haven't used it for a few years. Anyway, I managed to fix it and got there in the end, it just all took about 3 times as long as I thought it would. The felt roof is about 4.5 years old so I guess we need to replace it - will likely tackle that over the Easter weekend, the traditional weekend here in the UK for home improvements.



I finally put together the Jellystone quilt top, made from my American Jane FQs. I would have liked a wider outer border, but that was all I had of the blue colour. It looks good, really homey/folksy.


And I'm knitting a little teddy bear, called Oliver, from "The Knitted Teddy Bear" book I bought. At the moment he looks more like a squirrel, or maybe a rodent, so I am hoping he will look more bearlike as he acquires more limbs and features.


I Have Been Tagged.

I have been tagged by Swooze.

THE RULES:

1. Once you are tagged, link back to the person who tagged you.

2. Post THE RULES on your blog.

3. Post 7 weird or random facts about yourself on your blog.

4. Tag 7 people and link to them.

5. Comment on their blog to let them know they have been tagged.

Seven random or weird facts about me:

1) I was born in Canada, but emigrated in my late 20s to the UK.
2) I have eaten water buffalo, pigeon and turtle in my world travels (yuk to all 3).
3) I once applied to work for the Canadian government but was turned down because my French is minimal.
4) I have tested as high as 120 words per minute typing speed, if the testers are not deducting for backspace corrections (I used to temp).
5) I have never owned a car, but I have passed three different driving tests (Canadian, militia, UK) first time each time.
6) When I was young, I loved to climb trees, and fell out of one once (but luckily didn't break anything).
7) I used to be able to drive a horse and carriage when I was a teenager and even entered a few driving classes at horse shows.

I don't know 7 people to tag - I don't have time to follow many blogs, and most of the ones I do follow are 'official' ones from knitting shops or podcasters. I will tag Kathy, because I love her work and she seems such a nice person.




2 comments:

Kathy Wagner said...

Well goodness gracious...thanks very much! That made my day!
I will have to think about if I can come up with anything interesting to list...let alone 7!
Now don't be chewing your fingers to the bone! You'll need them to sign your new big cheques in your new job!

Greenmare said...

don't chew your fingernails, but if you do those GORGEOUS mittens will cover it up nicely! They really are lovely. Daffodils? Lucky you, I'm getting snow again.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]