Friday, 14 March 2008

Noro Silk Garden Scarf



Ta Dah!! This is my Noro Silk Garden scarf. I am so thrilled with the gorgeous colour changes in this yarn, it was a really fun knit. My starting point was the Noro Mobius by the Knitty Professors, but I only had two skeins and didn’t want a mobius. So I adapted the pattern as follows:

- two skeins of Noro Silk Garden (I used shade 265)
- US size 10.5 long circular needles (I used my Denise interchangeables with a 40” cord)

Finished measurements approximately 52” long by 6.5” wide

Using a long-tail cast on, cast on 168 stitches.
Knit 2, Purl 2, ribbing x 4 rows

N.B. for body of scarf, always knit first and last two stitches of each row, to give a garter edge.

Commence knitting and purling rows randomly, in groups of 1, 2, or 3, to give variegated ridges of colour along the scarf. Knit to end of first skein, and join in second skein using Russian Joining method, and continue knitting.

When you think you are getting near to the end of your second skein, finish the scarf with 4 rows of knit 2, purl 2 ribbing. I lost my nerve a little earlier than I needed to, I think with what I have left on the second skein, I likely could have knit 1 or 2 more rows.

Cast off loosely. Wash, and dry flat, pulling to shape. My wash water turned really dirty brown, I’m not sure if that was from excess dye or actual dirt, but afterwards the scarf was much softer and the yarn opened up. However, it is still a bit scratchier than I feel happy with against my skin, I can wear it for a short time but wouldn't want to wear it for hours. So for me this is a scarf for wearing outside the coat rather than inside.




No comments:

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]