Sunday, 15 February 2009

Don't hate me

I am now on holiday, and I hesitate to tell you where. When DH told his boss, his boss promptly told him to "F.... off" (they are friends). I suppose for my American readers, this won't be such a big deal, but to Brits who had just finished digging themselves out of the unexpected snowfall, it was like a slap in the face. We are in.... (whispering, dramatic pause) HAWAII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am on my dream holiday, which I booked over a year ago, naively thinking "it will be half price, there are $2 to the pound!". Needless to say, that part hasn't worked out. But here we are, we arrived on Wednesday night after breaking our journey for one night in San Francisco . It's now Saturday and we are finally over our jet lag (10 hour time difference, so I kept waking up in the middle of the night). I am on a quilting tour with Travelling Together, and we are accompanied by Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably. In fact, I have just been swimming in the hotel's private surf lagoon with Kaffe and Brandon, and afterwards we were chatting about knitting and about Rowan. DH held Kaffe's hand for several minutes for the blessing ceremony to open the quilt show in Waimea that we visited today. I told him that some women would never wash their hand again. In fact, the level of Kaffe worship is a bit staggering - in his opening lecture when he asked for questions, one woman stood up and said "I've loved you for 30 years: will you marry me?". Kaffe looked a bit taken aback at that one.

Tomorrow we are hiring a car, because all the tourist excursions are fabulously expensive and we figured we might as well use the money and be able to go where we want. Only for some reason there are no cars to be had (I called every agency in the book) so we have ended up with a truck. DH is already freaking out about driving on the wrong side of the road, so hopefully this truck is not going to be too big. Wish us luck...

6 comments:

swooze said...

Glad you arrived safely. I have been thinking about you all day today. Can't wait to hear more and see pictures.

Elsa Xenia said...

How lucky you are, both with Hawaii and your company. I'd love to hear more about the course. I met Kaffe at a talk, but what is Brandon like?

Teresa said...

How wonderful for you. I hope your vacation is everything you have hoped and planned for.

Sweet P said...

I don't hate you at all. Everyone should take at least one trip to Hawaii during their lifetime. Have fun!

Penny said...

Oh that sounds great. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Sarah Nopp said...

Such fun! And I am totally and completely jealous of course! By the way, the delicious socks you sent are receiving compliments.
Thanks again :)
And good luck about the wrong side of the road. Rumor is you don't have to drive fast there though. And hopefully the roads are a bit wider than the goat trails some places call streets.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]