Saturday, 25 April 2009

Last Day :(

I hope someone is reading this blog-live-from-Paducah, no-one is commenting so I am beginning to feel a bit like there is a big black hole in the ether that my posts are disappearing into... Or perhaps you are all just dead jealous... :)

Yesterday after my morning lecture (Mary Sorenson on combining piecing with applique, and she is very funny) I hit the shuttle buses and went out to the mall. I stopped on the way for another trip around the Rotary show at the Civic Centre, where there are some great vendors and 21 nice quilts. I enjoyed a few hours wandering slowly around the mall, looking for shoes and anything else that caught my eye. It isn't a very big mall, but it is air conditioned which is a welcome relief as it is fairly warm outside, and there are some quilt vendors out there as well. Then I walked over to Hobby Lobby on the edge of the car park, where I got some sock yarn and some brads that will make tables in my 1/48th coca cola cafe scene. Someone had told me that there was also a Michael's now (another big craft store) so I asked the cashier where it was. He said it was just along the road, on the same side, but assured me that I couldn't walk there. So did another customer. So I asked how far it was. "It's at least a 1/4 of a mile, ma'am". So I said I would risk it, and found myself there in exactly 4 minutes as it is literally the next little mini-mall along the road. Americans are really wedded to their cars, I think...

So I had a good shop around Michaels and loaded up on Wool-Ease yarn, a cheap wool/acrylic blend. I have a great intarsia pattern for socks, with a scene of a lighthouse and a sailing boat, and I've never been able to afford to knit it because in wool it would cost about £80 which is a pretty expensive pair of socks. Doing it in wool-ease is going to be about £18 which is still a pricey pair of socks but much more bearable. I've never tried intarsia so it should be interesting.

I forgot to mention that I bought a quilt this morning, a gorgeous 30s scrappy 4 point star set against a classic 30s green background. It is in really good condition, possibly never washed, and is a great addition to my collection. I love 30s quilts. I said I wasn't going to buy a quilt this trip, especially with the job situation, but I saw this and loved it and the price wasn't too bad, so I went temporarily insane and went for it. Will post a picture when I get back.

Last night tonight - I may be going out for dinner with my American friends, then tomorrow a long drive back up to Indianapolis airport then the long long flight home. I am going to be so wrecked at work on Tuesday but heck, what are they going to do, take my job away??? rofl

4 comments:

loulee said...

I've been AWOL for a while, but have just caught up, and I'm exhausted just reading about your trip. And yes, I'm green with envy. Safe journey home.

scraphappy said...

Defintely green with envy. Try not to ponder the job situation, it truly is out of your hands. What is meant to happen will happen. I hope you have lots of pictures to share when you get back.

swooze said...

I tried to hunt you down again but was not successful. So much going on with me. Will fill you in later.

Sarah Nopp said...

I have awol from blog land for a while, so just saw this jealousy inspiring post. I think you need to buy half shares in a sheep- no reason why you can't spin your own fleece and then you can make as many socks as you want!
By the way, I am totally jealous that you get to Paducah when I am unable :)

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]