Friday, 26 June 2009

I had a wonderful weekend in France, it was much more like a mini holiday than I was expecting, with lovely weather. It's a long way to go though, it was an 8 hour journey door to door on Friday to visit my friend who runs a wonderful gite (pictured) southwest of Le Mans in Normandy. I had to travel up to London, get the Eurostar train to Paris, travel across Paris to change stations, then get a TGV train to Le Mans where she picked me up. Lots of knitting done on my Pi Shawl and my fair isle sock, and as it turns out my friend likes purple, so those will now be Anita's socks.





They've been living over there about three years now, and I was tremendously impressed at their fluency in French and how hard they have worked to achieve that and their beautiful restored farm complex. On Saturday they took me out to see some of the gorgeous medieval stone villages and towns in the area, each one with its chateau. It really made me want to work more on my dollshouse French gatehouse, which I built a few years ago but have never really finished the inside of (story of my life).


















On Sunday Anita and I got the train back up to Paris and went to the SIMP dolls house show. I'd never been before, and felt somewhat intimidated in case I couldn't make myself understood to French dealers (my French is not much better than pigdin) but I shouldn't have worried as there were dealers and customers there from several European countries and lots of people spoke at least a little English. The standard of most of the work was surprisingly high, as were some of the prices, but I did pick up some accessories for my French tower (a wall fountain, some pottery for the kitchen) as well as a tv for my Canadian house, some lovely knitting for my knitting shop, and a kit to make a sales display of embroidery silks for my quilting shop. Afterwards I got the Eurostar back to London and the train back to my house, finally arriving home quite worn out at 9:30 p.m.




So what have I been up to?

I had two dollshouse friends over for a work morning, and I turned this empty shelf, into a filled up office shelf for the sales office area of my quilt shop. The laptop and printer are from Jim's Printables site of free printies, as are some of the office products, the calculator and tape dispenser are metal minis I picked up somewhere and painted, the basket of quilting goodies on the bottom shelf came in a swap, the filing box is from Jim's site, I made the in-tray from coffee stirrers.


























And you didn't think I was going to let you get away without another garden picture, did you? The roses I blogged last week continue to expand, to the size of small dinner plates now. That is my husband's large hand in the photo and they have gotten bigger than that since then. I don't remember them ever being this big before, our wet/dry spring must have suited them.






I am on about row 8 of the Gull Wing section of the Pi Shawl - it is very slow going with 576 stitches on the needle. I have wet blocked 'Hey Teach' and am waiting for it to dry so I can pick up for the bands. The Sirdar Juicy shawl is only about 1/3 done - it is too bulky to take out and too complicated to knit on easily while watching tv, so not getting much attention. I am on the fourth side of hand-sewing down the binding on the big log cabin quilt (the one I joined from two halves). I got loads done on it last night as I watched the Season 5 finale of Grey's Anatomy, which was bundled up with the debut episode of Season 2 of Private Practice. I had commandeered the tv from 8-11 p.m., and had a real night of it, drinking Pimms and lemonade with strawberries in, eating Ben and Jerry's ice cream and stitching on my quilt binding.

2 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday...and a delightful evening of sensual treats...great TV, ice cream and binding....yum!
Your roses are spectacular!

ShinyNewThing said...

A reply to Novri as your Blogger profile is set to 'no reply' - thanks for your comment, and I take my own pictures with a Fuji digital camera set on medium resolution. Thanks for reading! Sharon

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]