Tuesday, 21 July 2009

2nd post this week: My big fat quilting day

I have read with jealous eyes of other quilters having 'retreat' days with their friends, or even just spending the weekend on quilting, illustrated with lovely photos of the numerous projects they seem to turn out effortlessly. I thought you might be interested in the other side of the coin, what really happens when a normal person tries to have a day for quilting: constant interruptions jerking you out of the 'zone'. This is my second post for this week, and this is how my Sunday quilting day went.


08:30-09:00 - Clear stuff off my sewing table, and shove clutter around in my bedroom to make room for my design wall. Argue briefly with son about how he is going to spend his morning.


09:00 Start sewing - cut binding strips for Crossed Canoes quilt and start sewing them onto the quilt.


09:35 - discover son watching tv instead of working, have a short fight and put him to work vacuuming.

09:45 resume sewing

09:55 - set son to revising French and doing a self-test from the workbook I bought him (because his teacher said he needs to work over the summer on his French).

10:00 resume sewing, finish sewing binding on by 10:10, and start assembling Vintage Log Cabin blocks that I made last year.

10:35 Go back downstairs to review son's French test, another big argument in which I get to hear (at top volume) all his reasons why French is stupid, the French teacher is stupid, and how he is dropping French as soon as possible.



11:20 (finally) resume sewing and continue to assemble log cabin blocks



11:25 - stop to phone husband to find out when he is coming back to take son out. Husband returns, son eventually leaves after hunting all over the house for his mobile phone.

11:35 (in blissful solitude) resume sewing and get rest of blocks sewn into rows

12:15 - now I'm hungry, so stop for lunch

12:45 resume sewing, iron all the row seams, and start assembling the rows. Finish the quilt top by 1:45 - I've left it in two halves so it will fit into my tabletop quilting frame. I'm happily listening to quilting and knitting podcasts as I sew.

1:50 start assembling Bento Box blocks that were my 'quick quilt' from xmas 2008 I think. Both the Bento blocks and the log cabin blocks have been living on my never-used exercise trampoline in my bedroom for at least a year, so it is great to finally get them assembled. After laying out the blocks on my design wall, I realise that I don't like them in the classic set shown in the pattern photo. Start experimenting with different sets, but with 80 blocks it takes a long time. Husband does not help when he returns and squeezes into my room past the design wall, making it shudder and risking the blocks falling off. Resort to EQ6 on computer to find a set I like.


4:30 p.m. Finally decide on a design and pin up rows into 'packs'.

5:00 p.m. Stop to make supper.

5:35 p.m. Resume sewing and start sewing rows together.

6:15 - stop for supper with family.

7:25 Resume sewing - by now I am getting quite fed up with sewing, my back hurts, my eyes hurt, my bum hurts from my too-hard sewing chair, but I am determined to get these x!/xzz! blocks together and off my trampoline.

8:25 p.m. Finally finished. Everything hurts, but I have two quilt tops. I feel a real sense of achievement and wonder if I could do this every month. And here's what I made:








The vintage log cabin is made from fabrics that were put together as a kit, purchased at Stitching Post in Sisters, Oregon.






The Bento Box blocks use the Alex Anderson Romance line of fabrics, mixed with a couple of toiles from my stash.

4 comments:

scraphappy said...

Laughing out loud right now! Your "retreat" day sounds much like a typical day of trying to sew whilst juggling the rest of life as usual. I hear stories of people who sew all day long, but if I want to have uninterrupted time, it is usually in the wee hours of the morning.

Penny said...

Ha, I can just imagine that's what my day would be like if I tried a retreat at home. Although mine would almost certainly include interruptions to ask me questions that are better dealt with by dad.

One description of someone's retreat included "stopping to eat a meal cooked by someone else". What bliss that would be!

swooze said...

Oooohhhh very nice!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness, this was funny! I can relate to the exchanges with your son!
But in spite of it all, you accomplished a huge amount! I think you should do this every month! Love the Bento layout!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]