Friday, 7 August 2009
Wishing I was at Sock Summit
Sock Summit started yesterday in Portland, Oregon, and I was curious enough to join Twitter and sign in to the #socksummit Twitter stream. I am so jealous! People sound like they are having the most amazing time of their lives, it sounds like it is really a major happening with amazing shopping, tons of knitting celebrities, and wonderful classes. They are all asleep right now as I blog this, but will wake up soon and hopefully start tweeting again. Fighting a faint urge to hop on a plane to Oregon...
The weather has been very unsettled here in the UK, windy, overcast, very muggy, sudden heavy rainshowers. They are saying that it might be nicer this weekend - fingers crossed.
Wednesday night I went to a dollshouse club meeting where we put together kits from Georgina Steeds to make paper-punched sweetpea stems. I made about 18 stems which I need to glue into a vase. They look ok, although I don't think I managed to make them look entirely realistic.
Last night I stopped into I-knit, my LYS, for a couple of hours of knitting. I worked on my Sirdar Juicy lace shawl for a while - it is now long enough to stretch elbow to elbow over my shoulders, but I think it still needs to be a lot longer so it will drape gracefully over my arms. Once I reached a row that I needed to re-knit 5 times because I kept going wrong, it was the signal that lace-knitting time was over. So I cast on for the second Scandinavian pattern sock. The first one is now finished, and here I am modelling it. It is slightly large on me as its future owner Anita has the next size up foot size.
I also played around with plaster casting to make some 'sewing machines' for the workshop area of my miniature quilt shop. I had a commercially purchased sewing machine, which I pressed into some modelling clay. I did look at proper moulding material at Hobbycraft, but the cheapest one was going to cost £12. Modelling clay cost £2.99.
I broke the sewing machine into two halves, and pressed it into the clay to make indentations which I then filled with plaster. Once the plaster set, it easily released from the modelling clay. Then while it was still soft and damp, I sanded or broke off the excess plaster, and sanded the base level. Then I set them aside to dry completely, which took about 3 days in this humid weather. They don't look the same as the original, but once painted and varnished I think they will be ok.
I blocked the front and back of the Kauni V-neck sweather, and seamed the shoulders. Then I took it back out to the knitting shed and hooked the armhole onto the machine, and started knitting the sleeves from the armhole downwads using the same punchcard. I hope this is going to fit. I found the yarn was too breakable to seam with, so I actually used some toning embroidery floss to seam the shoulders.
I met a girl at dollshouse club who said she knitted. I was excited to meet another knitter and asked if she was on Ravelry, only to be greeted by a blank stare. She also wasn't interested about the local knitting group that I had heard about. Suddenly there was little to talk about - I am a knitter in the sense that I am involved in the online / global knitting community, subscribing to UK and American knitting magazines, a Ravelry member, occasionally attending knitting groups, a reader of knitting blogs, listening to knitting podcasts, being influenced by book reviews to buy current knitting books, interested to find out about new yarns, building a stash of yarn. Then there are the knitters that don't do any of that stuff - they just know how to knit. We are both knitters, and they probably knit better than I do, but it's like we're from different planets.
This site is owned by
Want to join a