Friday, 18 September 2009

Stash management tips needed

Not too much crafting this week as I was on a two-day course in writing skills for work - ironically I am getting far more training now that I am being made redundant than I ever did in the job. All good stuff on the resume and might help me find something else.



I finished the sock I started at I-Knit Day. It is a bit loose in the ankle but otherwise fits well. This is Opal Harry Potter self-patterning yarn - love the colours - and the Regia leaflet sock pattern. I think I will keep this pair for myself.






I haven't really done anything else this week, but one think I have been turning over in my mind is developing some way to have a record of my stash. I have a bit of a problem with over-shopping, in the sense that I have more stash than I can reasonably store, or remember, or ever get to unless I win the lottery and can quit work and craft every day for the rest of my life. And I have stash in several hobbies: knitting, machine knitting, dollshouse miniatures, cross-stitch, tatting, even bobbin lace which I don't actually do (yet).

Part of the problem, I think, is that it is 'out of sight, out of mind' for me. And things that are in sight, like the latest gee whizz shiny new thing at a craft show, just seem more appealing than some mythical stash that I haven't seen for a while.

I've tried all the usual things: lists, spreadsheets, labelled storage boxes/bins of all descriptions, keeping it all together, keeping it all in one location, bagging up all the quilt projects, Ravelry, special storage for currently started projects, but nothing seems to work. I think the only thing that would work for me would be to have all the stash out on display, all the time. And my house is nowhere near big enough.

So I'm thinking now along the lines of photographing every project and creating a physical record for each project, like a recipe card, that displays the picture and some information. Then I could leaf through the card file to see just how much I have waiting.

Although the mind rather boggles at the thought of photographing dozens (hundreds) of stash items...

Any brilliant suggestions from you? How do you remember what is in your stash(es)?

2 comments:

Susan said...

I just pull it all out every so often and wonder what I'm going to make with it all - then I put it away again.
It sounds as if you have a lot more than me though!

swooze said...

You know that I made kits. But I also paw through my stash on a regular basis to work on little round robins I am participating in.

I think your project cards are a great idea.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]