Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Still snowing

The snow has started up again. My poor son spent 45 minutes shivering at his bus stop but the school coach never showed up, so he is home today. This is a picture of our garden early this morning, and it's a lot whiter now.













I realised this morning, as I sent my son out into the snow and my poor DH reluctantly set off in his car, that I am a genius. What a great time to be unemployed - I get to stay in my jammies and sit down with a nice hot cup of tea in front of the television, and work on my cross stitch. No struggling into work in this icy weather, wonderful. This is the scissors keeper that I bought at the Ally Pally show, a cute little cross stitch 3-D house stitched with 6 strands of floss.





Yesterday, after looking at my job ads and doing a little quilting, I went to the daytime films for 'Bargain Tuesday' (when it costs just an arm, instead of an arm and a leg). I saw Sherlock Holmes, which was pretty rubbish, but first of all I had to sit through more than 15 minutes of advertising. I was fascinated at the repetitive topics, there were about 6 ads for alcohol, 5 for cars, and the rest were for gadgets. Apparently the advertisers believe that people who go to see films in mid-week during the day time are all alcoholics in the market for a new car, who also need new mobile phones and digital cameras. Presumably they crashed their old car while under the influence, and their old phone and previous camera were in the car's glove compartment.


So what have I been up to? I renovated the sponge bar for my Brother 260 knitting machine using the excellent instructions here. It appears to have worked really well, although I haven't actually tried knitting with it yet. But anything has to be better than the decaying ick that the previous foam had deteriorated into.




I dressed the dolly for my oldfashioned doll which was incredibly difficult. Her arms and legs are fixed, so I had to sew the dress around and onto her, and she is so small. But mother and dolly look pretty happy together now.





















I finished my Rico Poems Hat - this was a pattern from my Knitting Pattern a Day calendar (July 23, 2009) and was called the 'Warm-Ears Hat'. Poems is a 100% wool yarn, affordably priced, and although slightly splitty, was good to knit with. This hat is great, really stretchy over the ears and fairly warm. I might get some more Poems and knit matching mittens.

















I started knitting Pretty Thing, a pattern for a lacy cowl designed by the YarnHarlot, using the 100% cashmere that I bought at the I-Knit Weekender this year. It is only 61 rows and a really pretty pattern. My understanding is that the yarn will 'bloom' when I wash it, so should look fluffier than this in the end.











I also started knitting a pair of intarsia socks featuring a lighthouse, using Lion Brand Wool-Ease that I bought in America (too expensive to buy that many colours in a pure wool yarn). I am pretty new to intarsia, the Christmas stocking was one of my first attempts, and I quickly realised that I don't know what the heck I am doing. So this project is on hold until a reference book arrives that I have ordered on Amazon.








While I was in Farnham a few weeks ago, I bought several balls of Paton's Linen Touch in the sale at Farnham Interknit Cafe, to knit a Clapotis. I have not previously jumped on the Clapotis bandwagon as it didn't really appeal to me, but I have registered to attend the Clapo-Tea Party at Knit Camp in Stirling this summer, and you have to wear a Clapotis to get in. For anyone who doesn't know, presumably because they are not a knitter or have been living out of internet contact for the last few years, Clapotis is a drop-stitch shawl/scarf designed by Kate Gilbert which has been knitted by literally thousands of Ravellers.


Regular readers will have noticed that it is not Friday and yet I am blogging. Now that I am dis-employed, I have more time on my hands, so more crafting and more musing.


And finally, another plea to commenters to change their Blogger profile from the default 'no reply' option, especially if you ask me a question. It is so frustrating to click 'reply' and to see the fatal return address: Jane.Doe@no-reply.blogger.com. You need to opt in to receive emails via Blogger.

Stay warm!

1 comment:

swooze said...

You have been so productive. Love seeing all your stuff and look forward to seeing your finished quilts.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]