Saturday, 29 May 2010

Camping woes and long weekends

It's a long weekend here in the UK, and today we have had the traditional Bank Holiday weather:  rain.  Good for the garden, I guess, as it had become very dry in the hot spell last week.  I've spent part of the day working on my dollshouse and sewing on my sewing basket.

Last weekend we went for our first camping night of the year, traditionally a shakedown cruise after putting everything back in following the winter.  It is often trying, as we discover multiple things that we forgot to bring, and of course there was the disastrous year when we put our previous unit up in the rain and it promptly started leaking because the waterproofing had disappeared over the winter.  But I think we topped that this year.  When we pitched up, we found the electrics weren't working so no lights and no water pump (it turned out to be a flat battery despite our battery charger telling us that the battery was fully charged right before we left - time for a new battery charger).  Then we made a mistake in hitching up and broke our emergency brake cord off of the trailer hitch.  But the real icing on the cake was a young girl in the wrong lane sideswiping our trailer when we were almost home.  Her wing mirror ripped along the side of the trailer, damaging the strut that helps it open up, gouging the side, and tearing the door frame.  So it's been in for temporary repairs this week so that we can still use it, and we will have to negotiate with the insurance company for the permanent repairs.  It looks very sad at the moment.

So, I've been working on my Sewing Basket this week, based on a pattern in the Art to Heart 'Sew Necessary' book but I have shortened it by an inch and added different pockets and different hanging items.  My Vilene firm fusible interfacing turned up last Saturday and it was a much firmer product.  I am so ignorant about the zillion types of interfacing.  This one is quite impressive, giving a very stiff result while still being sewable.  Here is a picture of all the pockets on the inside before I put it together.



And this is what it looks like at the moment, although I still have some tweaking to do to get out some of the wrinkles.  I made the needle book out of some wool felt I had lying around, and made the pincushion from a Moda charm square pack.  They are hanging on ric-rac so they can be inside or outside the basket, which is an idea from the original pattern although they hung different things outside.  I may add some carrying handles.





I've been knitting on my Rhapsody hat but I think I am going to have to pull it back.  I was knitting one repeat less than the smallest size of the pattern, because my yarn is thicker.  It makes a nice snug hat that feels good on my head, but at that gauge it is stretching the fair isle knitting very unattractively. I think I am going to have to start over again and increase by one repeat.  I may keep the hem at the current size and just increase by 12 stitches evenly around the brim.

I managed to find some zippered pencil bags on eBay to keep my circular needles in.  Longtime readers may remember that I made a fabric circular needle holder a long time ago, but I have too many circs to fit into that now plus they keep falling out.  So I am going to reserve the fabric holder for 2.75mm and below, and have put the rest into labelled pencil bags.  Currently these are tied together with string but I could use pretty ribbon or put them into a binder.








On Tuesday night at my knitting group, we unveiled a surprise gift for our leader, Daisydaisydaisy, who is getting married very soon (possibly even today, I can't remember).  For several weeks various members have been knitting the pieces for a knitted wedding cake, based on the Alan Dart pattern published in Simply Knitting magazine.  My contribution was 24 green leaves, but I couldn't blog them before now because Daisy reads my blog (Hi, Daisy!).  The finished results was gorgeous, thanks to some inspired sewing up by MizMiffy and Knit24seven.  With some subtle questioning, we found out details such as the colours of her bridesmaid's dresses (purple), her hairstyle, dress etc.  SallyBarrett made a super job of the bride and groom, they even have little wedding rings on their hands.




And finally, I am actually binding off the Pi Shawl!!!  The end is in sight - but I need binoculars to see it because the set-up row for the stretchy bind-off was K1, YO, increasing my 574 stitches to 1148 stitches, and now I am knitting a yarnover before each one, so I don't even want to think about how many stitches that is to bind off.  I've done about a foot of it so far....it could take years.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

How awful about your camper. Hope that girl had good insurance.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daisy said...

No, not married yet, it's on 5th! Hope you've managed to get something sorted with your camper now!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]