Saturday, 12 June 2010

Happy WWKIP Day! and Pi Shawl finished at last

Happy Worldwide Knit in Public Day!  I'm just back from an enjoyable couple of hours knitting in the pub's garden with my local knitting group.  I took along the bunting that I made a few years ago, which we strung along the sun brollies so that it looked festive.  I also wore my Sirdar Juicy Lace Stole in honour of the occasion, which was just the thing to keep the chill off my shoulders every time the sun went behind a cloud (about every 10 mins it alternated between baking hot and too cold).  The pub was gearing up for the World Cup (football) match tonight, so there was quite a party atmosphere in town with cars blowing their horns and people sounding off noisemakers etc.

I was knitting on my Rhapsody Hat, which is going quite well.  I am just starting the second repeat of the chart. The pattern calls for two repeats of the main chart, then a decrease chart, but as my yarn is thicker I think I am going to have to jump right into the decrease chart soon.  So far it is fitting well.  I was also knitting on the dratted Clapotis and got a few more rows of drudgery done on that.

But the big news is that I finished the Pi Shawl!  At long last!  I feel like I have been knitting it forever but I actually started it last April when I went to Paducah for the quilt show.  Probably it seems longer because I had to un-knit so many times.

This is what it looked like after it came off the needles - not so great.  Knitting lace is really an act of faith.







This is what it looked like after I washed it and started blocking it.












And this is the final block, after about 45 mins of crawling around on the floor moving pins in and out and doing my back in.

When it was pinned out on the white sheet, several 'mistakes' seemed to scream out at me (how on earth did some yarnovers end up twice the size of the other ones?) but as my American friend is fond of saying: "if you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse...".  And it is my first ever lacy shawl, so I am pretty pleased with it.



And this is it after it was completely dry.














I also did some sewing this week, working on assembling my garden quilt.  I joined the waterlily block together with the fishies block, and then created 'paving stones' to go around them both.  This was to make it look like a pond, and also to help these darker blocks to stand out from the bushy background.  It was a bit tricky as the bushy background fabric is directional, so I had to make sure I got it right side up on each side.










I've also decided on the final layout of the quilt.  I am seaming it together starting from the top, and just working my way downwards, figuring out how wide sashing should be and how the blocks will relate to each other.














Now that the Pi Shawl is done, it is time for a new project.  I was looking at this Feather and Fan jacket pattern which is in 'Jackets for Work and Play'.






It calls for bulky yarn, so first I did a swatch in some Debbie Bliss Eco Cotton.  The tension is about right, but it looks chunkier to me than the model in the picture.










Then I had a brainwave and tried swatching the Knitcol that I bought in Malvern a few weeks ago.  This is a DK weight (or slightly heavier) but if I knit it on the same needles, the tension is about right.  It makes a lacier lighter fabric which I am now trying to decide if it would be too flimsy for the cardigan or not.  My knitting group thought it would be alright.

2 comments:

swooze said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love the shawl. I love it all.

Daisy said...

ah, if only I'd managed to get there earlier it sounds like a fun afternoon. And your Pi shawl is looking AMAZING! Congratulations!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]