Sunday, 8 August 2010

Knit Camp here we come

This week has been dominated by my insane decision to attempt to knit the official Knit Camp Vest in time for my departure to Knit Camp. I decided this on Tuesday 2 August and I leave tomorrow, Monday 8 August.  I had previously ordered the kit of yarns from Jamieson & Smith with the idea that some day I would knit a version of this using my knitting machine for the fair isle - because the pattern repeat is 24 stitches wide which happens to match the width of a standard gauge punchcard.  But reading on Ravelry about all the anticipation and excitement around Knit Camp, I became overpowered by the desire to take part.

So far my evenings after work have gone like this:  Tuesday evening.  Punch the card according to the chart (took me ages as I can't count), decide desired measurements, write new pattern to suit my measurements and a knitting machine - finish around midnight.  Wednesday:  print out chart in large size, and write down all the row numbers / colour changes, then in the evening start knitting the back on the machine.  Haven't machine knit for quite a while so it goes slowly with some mistakes.  Finish 12:30 am.  Thursday evening:  Knit the front, it goes faster because I am getting better, but there is a tricky bit rehanging the shoulders to centre the sheep motifs, finish 11:45 pm (by now, my family are forgetting what I look like).  Friday evening:  Having trimmed off all the ends and darned a few dropped stitches during my daily commute to work, tonight I washed and blocked the front and back. Finish at a normal time - yay! Saturday: 7:30am start, seam the shoulders, and the two sides (with some re-dos to get the motifs to match up properly), then pick up and knit the neckline.  Two and a half times, because the first couple of times I picked up too tightly and it puckered.  Pick up and knit one armband.  Have to unpick and re-knit the cast off row because it was flaring.  Why do I knit so slowly and I still haven't packed...  I'm pleased with it but I think I will still be knitting the bottom band on the journey to Stirling.




I'm really looking forward to Knit Camp, I used my redundancy money to book up for several events and some classes and it just sounds like it is going to be a really great event. I am flying from London Heathrow to Edinburgh tomorrow morning, then by train to Stirling, and bus to the campus where the event is being held.   Hopefully all the transport modes will go smoothly  And tomorrow night is the Clapo-teaparty for which I did all that Clapo knitting, should be good.

Don't know if I am going to be able to blog while I am up there, it is unclear whether we are going to have access to the uni computers or not.  If not, I will tell you all about it when I get back!

3 comments:

Freyalyn said...

I hope we all have a wonderful time up in Stirling, nay-sayers notwithstanding. I love the way you've challenged yourself with the vest - it looks great.

Denise said...

I love your vest! Very nice sheep and wonderful colors.

Daisy said...

Hope it all goes OK up there!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]