Friday, 1 October 2010

Will knit for smoothies. And cake.

Monday evening after work I headed over to Fruit Towers, the headquarters for Innocent smoothies, to join Stitch London  who had been invited to come and take part in the Big Knit campaign. Around 50 knitters showed up to knit little hats to go onto smoothie bottles which are sold to raise money for the charity Age UK.

We were welcomed by the staff and the campaign coordinator, invited to help ourselves to smoothies from the fridge, plied with tea, and provided with a veritable feast of homemade cakes and sandwiches. Yarn was provided, and patterns and needles, and we were soon knitting away in between eating cake.  At the end of the evening there were competitions for most creative hat, most hats knitted and worst hat (won by a half finished hat that apparently fell apart when they tried to judge it).  I managed to knit three more hats in three hours:  another Christmas pudding which I don't have a picture of, and a striped hat and an earflap hat. And I enjoyed chatting with the friendly knitters around me, especially MarthaMay who has put a picture of my Christmas pudding and more pics of the night on her blog here. The Innocent HQ wasn't at all what I expected, they are in an old industrial unit, which is carpeted inside with astroturf and furnished with sun parasols, hanging wicker chairs, picnic tables, and colourful posters everywhere.  I was chatting to the organiser and it sounds like a fabulous place to work, she said people are really encouraged to be themselves and everyone is really creative. Oh, and I ate far too much cake, including an incredibly yummy cheesecake that was about three inches thick.





The new Cath Kidston catalogue arrived a while back and I was admiring the make-do-and-mend necklace - until I saw the price! I thought "surely you must be able to buy sewing charms a lot more cheaply than that" and sure enough you can, thanks to the magic of the internet.  For a little over £8 I was able to buy enough charms to make two pairs of earrings and a necklace (only one pair of earrings in photo, the other pair features a couple of teeny tiny rotary cutters). I wore the necklace to work today.  I also appreciated my Feather & Fan Neckwarmer which kept me warm and snuggly during the wet walk between the train station and work.

I've done a little knitting on the train on my Sanquhar glove and my hand-dyed sock blank socks, but it's been a busy week.  I had to get up at 5:40am on Thursday in order to be at the Royal Albert Hall by 8am for a work thing, and I have to work on Saturday as well :(  But I will get a day in lieu for the Saturday which I plan to take during half term when DS is in France for his exchange.  A whole day of crafting!

Sunday, although they are predicting torrential rains, DH has promised to drive me up to the NEC in Birmingham to visit the Autumn Miniatura, the biggest and best dollshouse fair.  Not sure what he is going to do while I am in there for 3 or 4 hours, but it is very nice of him.  Will be keeping my eyes open for 1/24th accessories for the Fairfield dollshouse I am building, and maybe pick up some more wood moulding.

2 comments:

Marthaamay O_o said...

Expensive charms!
Your version is more true to the make do and mend phrase, diy!

WendiesMiniWorld said...

beautiful charms! where did you find them? I know a few peeps that would love to receive them as xmas pressies ;o)

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]