Tuesday, 28 December 2010

As the year comes to an end

I was surprised to see that it has been 10 days since I last blogged, the christmas period seems to have gone by in a blur (not helped by my head cold which has laid me a bit low the last few days).  I had to work right up until Christmas Eve (boo hiss) so Christmas and Boxing Day seemed to take me by surprise, and I didn't feel like I was on holiday until Monday.

We had a quiet Christmas at home, and then had the family around on Boxing Day which was also nice.  I didn't get too many crafty presents but they were mostly things I'd asked for:  a roll of freezer paper, some fabric, two sponge bars for my knitting machines, and 'coupons' from DH for chauffeured visits to a knitting shop, quilt shop, Hobbycraft etc.  I also had a lovely visit from my minis friend Anita and her DH on Christmas Eve, and Anita gave me a dollshouse construction book (in French, as she lives in France, so I am slowly deciphering that with my schoolgirl french), a tiny card of buttons for my knitting shop in my Willowcrest, and a little pretend cardigan in a box that she made herself.  Thanks Anita!

I've taken advantage of the holiday time to put together the bathroom kit for my Fairfield dollshouse, but I've also done some knitting.  I kept myself going on Boxing Day during the chit-chat by working on the sleeve for my Jaeger Natural Fleece Yoked Cardigan, and I've done a few rows on my Johnny Rotten Mittens

But mainly I was working on my Christmas Tree Tea Cosy as it was sort of time sensitive - and I got it finished!  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, I think I like it better than the Laughing Hens original that inspired me because I made my branches 3-D and theirs are flat and droop.  It was a bit fiddly knitting all the presents and seaming/stuffing them, but they really add to the cosy.  I sewed a gold bead onto the tip of each 'branch'.  The star was a bit of a challenge to work out, and I admit it has come out a bit wonky, but the whole effect makes me smile when I see the cosy sitting on the table.  Full credit to Laughing Hens for designing the original which gave me the idea to copy, but I feel like I've achieved something to work out my own pattern for it.



I don't go back to work until 4 January, so I really want to do some sewing this week on my Hawaiian memory quilt and some machine knitting on my Sock Wool Machine Knitted Vest.  I feel worried that my week of holiday is going to fly by in a blur of sales shopping, nose blowing and sleeping.

I hope your festive season is going smoothly, and I wish you all the best for a happy, healthy and hopefully prosperous, and crafty New Year.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Love the Christmas tree tea cosy!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]