Saturday, 18 December 2010

Let it snow

London has had snow dumped on it yet again.  I woke up this morning to a light dusting of snow, that looked like this:


but then it suddenly started snowing heavily mid-morning.  By 11am, we already had about four inches and it didn't stop until about 1pm.  DH and I dressed up in all our layers and hiked into town to run errands, through a winter wonderland.  And when we got home, DH and DS made a snowman in the back garden.  Very unusually, the snow was 'sticky' so they were able to make quite a big one, he's about 5 feet high.



The prediction is for more snow over the weekend, so I am extremely hopeful of being able to stay home on Monday, if the snow disrupts the trains sufficiently.  On the other hand, I want to be able to get over to my local knitting group tomorrow, preferably without having to walk.  So lots of snow Sunday night please.

Instead of doing crafts this week, with my free time I've been putting out Christmas decorations.  I have a lot.  We got our usual enormous tree from the tree farm, but even so  it was a job to cram all the ornaments onto it.  As you can see, I don't go for the minimalist look  :)   That's the tree skirt that I made a few years ago, underneath the tree.



The end of the kitchen table is filled up with various candle holders and mini scenes.



I went to the I-Knit Christmas party on Thursday night.  Snow was threatening, which may have contributed to the smaller crowd but there were still about 25 of us.  There was a huge spread of food with several delicious home-made cakes.  As a precaution against drunken knitting, I had taken my Jaeger Natural Fleece Yoked jumper, which is just stockinette stitch, but in the end I didn't actually drink too much so it was ok.  We did the Secret Santa, I gave away a Rowan pattern book and some cashmere lace yarn, and received in return a hand-knitted hat and some homemade earrings.  The hat is tight on my big head but I am hoping I can block it bigger as it is a pretty variegated colour in a wool/acrylic blend.

I've also finished the 'tree' portion of my Christmas Tree Tea Cosy and I've started work on the 'presents' to go around the base.  I enjoyed this 3D knitting experience - for once I wanted my knitting to bulge out in odd places!



I hope that you are looking forward to the festive season and to enjoying a relaxing break - hopefully with lots of quilting, or knitting, or dollshousing, or whatever your hobby is.  Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Marthaamay O_o said...

I love the presents around the teacosy!
You could put sugar in them?

Diane said...

If the snow stays it will be like old times. We're meant to get 5 to 10 cm of snow again in Paris today (22/12). I can't complain though French people don't know about shovelling their sidewalks. I've told our building superintendent that if it snows again on the weekend, I'll shovel the snow. I'm thinking that other residents will get the idea and do the same.
I hope that you and yours have a very Happy Christmas around your ginormous tree.

Daisy said...

Hope you had a good Christmas!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]