Saturday, 8 January 2011

Bleah

I am not a happy bunny this weekend.  My cold cleared up sufficiently that I had to go back to work, but has now taken root in my sinuses.  I'm feeling generally rubbish and to top it off, I managed to slice my left index finger (my knitting finger) fairly deeply while cutting a template today.  I have an older friend in America who told me once that she has made a pact with all her friends of a similar age, that they won't talk about their aches and pains, because otherwise that's all they would ever talk about.  I can see where they are coming from.

So instead I will tell you about the incredible coincidence that happened earlier this week, when you beat the kind of odds that make you wish you had bought a lottery ticket that day.  I was late coming home as my normal train was delayed, so I got on the slow train.  It was about 20 minutes slower even than it should have been, so I was quite late as I exited the station and walked along the block to the junction.  I was very pleased to see my DH pulling up to the junction in his car, thinking he had come especially to pick me up.  As he drew up, I opened the door and hopped in. However, he was rather startled to see me, because it was completely random that he was there at all.  He has to drive home around the M25 motorway, which often holds him up, and on the way home he impulsively decided to go into town and buy some milk from the store near the station.  When I saw him, he had just pulled out after having been in a slow check-out queue to buy milk at the store.  So this means that together we beat the random factors of motorway traffic, train problems, slow check-out queues, my seating position on a long train, etc. etc. so that the precise moment I reached the curb, he pulled up in his car.  Now where's that lottery ticket...

I treated myself to the Winter 2010 Interweave Knits for Christmas, and this week I cast on for the Pavo Slipper Socks, partly because they looked simple, and partly to use up the Cascade 220 I acquired at Knit Camp.  This was a straightforward, satisfying knit, starting from a magic cast-on at the toe, and proceeding with two cables to a slipped heel and a short cuff.  And they fit perfectly.  I've done one, and am just increasing for the toe on the second one.  A good TV knit.  I did it on dpns, as I find Magic Loop a bit of a faff, having to stop and start all the time.









And I actually did some sewing this week!  I spent a considerable time on Bank Holiday Monday cutting out this striped floral fabric and fussycutting flowers for block centres, for a Chevron Posies twin size quilt that I saw on Swooze's blog last year.  I loved her quilt, and ordered the fabric from America, but when it turned up, I had a much more blue-green colourway than hers which was a bit disappointing.  The pattern is straightforward, but the cutting out takes quite a while as you have to cut the stripe very exactly.

So I've made 39 of these blocks, and now I'm joining them together.












Today (before I cut my finger), I went out and did some machine knitting, adding half a neckline to my Machine knitted sock wool sleeveless pullover.  It's very disheartening as it took me 90 minutes to do half a neckline.  About 10 years ago I was really into machine knitting, and was fairly good at it.  Now that I haven't done much for a long time, I've forgotten so much and simple things take me ages.  I also decided to tidy up the machine knitting shed, which is something I avoid as it is only a shed, and therefore attracts spiders and snails and there is a general air of damp this time of year even though it is insulated.  I find it depressing, not least because it is fairly crowded and it's hard to move around in.  Storing my handknitting stash out there makes it even more crowded, but I don't have room in my smallish house to store the stash inside.  But I did give it a good tidy, sorting out all the magazines and loose patterns and stash that had built up.  The roof seems to be leaking again, sigh...  I dream about having a purposebuilt, brightly lit, spider free studio.  DS will be moving out eventually but his room is smaller than the shed - although at least there are not usually spiders in it.  Hmmm, I wonder if I could persuade DS to sleep in the shed...

4 comments:

Heather x said...

lol, I keep trying to get my kids to volunteer to live in the shed so I can have their bedroom....so far nobody has volunteered, I wonder why?
Great socks babe, love the colour :)
*hugs* Heather x (UK)

Daisy said...

Well, you could always ask him?!


Love the amazing coincidence too.

swooze said...

Hope you are better soon m'dear. That chevron daisy top will go together very quickly now. Fussy cutting takes FORever.

Your socks turned out cute!

Marthaamay O_o said...

NIce socks!
I am impressed by your luck with your husband's journey melting into yours! How horrible, if you'd have seen him drive off just as you got there!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]