Saturday, 22 January 2011

It's been a fairly busy week at work, so that's been taking up a lot of my mental energy this week.  Despite that, I have worked on various knitting projects, plus put together some dollshouse furniture kits for my Fairfield house that I'm working on.

A big thank you to Sue, who pointed out that I will be able to visit Webs yarn store when I am in New England.  I am so excited, I've listed to the Ready Set Knit podcast for quite a while, but as my geography is rubbish I hadn't made the connection that they were in New England.

And just to go off topic - we went to see The King's Speech today, as it had been highly recommended by friends and has been picking up a lot of award nominations lately.  It was very very good, the acting is excellent, and it is quite funny in parts.  It isn't quite as heartwarming as I think the makers had intended, since your view of the film is coloured by your knowledge of what actually happened both then and up until the modern day, but it is still very good.

I finished the knitting on my Sanquhar Gloves, and now just need to darn in the ends and block.  I've been waiting on the darning because I am going to need good light to sew this fine dark yarn into fine dark stitches, and it's too dark in the evenings.  Sometimes I balance a daylight lamp precariously on the back of the sofa behind me, but that doesn't work very well. So I was delighted to see the 'Huglight'  reviewed in the latest issue of Knitty, the online knitting magazine.  Before I'd even read the rest of the article, I googled for a UK supplier and ordered one.  I think this is going to be just the thing to boost my middle-aged eyesight. It's a flexible tubing that hangs around your neck, with two LEDs at each tip.  You can turn on just one LED or both LEDs for more light shining on your hands.

Also this week, I seamed together the two halves of the neckline on my Machine Knitted Sock Yarn sleeveless pullover.  Knitting the second half only took an hour, so 30 minutes faster than the first half, proving that practice does help.  Now I just need to do the armbands.








As discussed in my previous post, I ripped back the yoke on my Jaeger Natural Fleece Yoked Cardigan and am re-knitting the yoke in stockinette.  I have knit about an inch of the chart on my second Johnny Rotten mitten.  I've switched to two circular needles for the mitten as the metal dpns I was using kept sliding out of the stitches in this soft squishy yarn.  I took my Selbuvotter Wedgewood Gloves on the daily commute one day and have knit most of the palm now so will be able to start the little finger soon.  And on Thursday I took my second Pavo Slipper Sock along to knitting group at I-Knit, where I managed to get up to turning the heel.  Having drunk a bottle of strawberry/pear cider by that point, I decided discretion was the better part of valour, and that trying to count heel stitches and wraps for a short row heel would not be a good idea.  I turned the heel the next day, soberly on the train. 

I was going to use the variegated Knitcol DK yarn I bought last year at Malvern for the Feather and Fan jacket pattern which is in 'Jackets for Work and Play'.  But then I saw a variegated 'Liesl' cardigan on Ravelry which looked really nice so I've downloaded 'Liesl' from Ravelry this week.  It's designed for Aran-weight yarn but several people have knit it in DK weight simply by knitting a bigger size than usual.  So that might be the next project I start.

I haven't done any sewing this week.  As well as cutting out the Kaffe Fassett project last week, I had printed foundation patterns for a wallhanging for the kitchen, featuring crockery.  I had chosen fabric and got it all ready to sew, but I have spent the week walking past it on the sewing machine without actually doing any.  Bad quilter...

I bought a deep fat fryer.  Actually, I've bought two, because the first one was lobbed over our six-foot-high garden gate by the idiotic deliveryman and suffered a cracked lid.  So that one had to go back and a replacement has arrived, which we christened tonight with sweet potato fries and fried chicken.  My husband was very sceptical about sweet potato fries, and even more sceptical when I told him I had enjoyed them on a trip to Indiana, sprinkled with icing sugar.  Guess what, he loved them.  Why don't they just listen to us in the first place?

1 comment:

Daisy said...

OK, I must admit I am having trouble getting my head round the idea of sweet potato fries sprinkled with icing sugar.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]