Sunday, 13 March 2011

Be careful what you wish for...

Well, the work situation has changed yet again.  The consultant and I had reached a sort of detente, in which I got on with my job while he waffled hot air and blustered his way through the days earnestly pretending that he knew what he was doing.  But suddenly it was all over.  Thursday morning I came in, and he took me to one side to tell me that it was his last day.  Apparently the head of our department (my old boss' boss) had told him at the end of the previous day.  He seemed rather shocked by the suddenness of it all, and was scrambling all day to put his affairs in order and close down what he had been doing (not that much). I felt a bit sorry for him really.  And to do him justice, he did bring in chocolate after lunch as a farewell present for us.

So I am suddenly boss-less, at least temporarily.  The department head doesn't want to get involved with details, and is very eager to have me take on things that my boss used to do.  Meanwhile, apparently there will be an interim manager coming in for six months to cover another vacancy in the department, and she will have a 'dotted line' to me - whatever that means.  I'm hoping it means that I can get on with my work independently, yet still have someone for backup when I am on holiday or sick, and someone to refer the awkward people to.  I have mixed feelings really, relief that both my old boss and the consultant are now out of the picture, but some anxiety over the uncertainty and sudden increase in responsibility.  I hope the new interim manager is nice and we get along.  Oh, and apparently my old boss was incredibly upset at having her shaky arrangement with the consultant overset, and was even shouting at our department head (so I hear) but he was telling her ' you don't work here any more and we have to manage without you'.  I'm beginning to wonder if there is a master plan to engineer my old boss out of the picture completely.  I know her shambolic performance had been criticised by a lot of people.

It's like working in a soap opera.   My old job was never like this.  What is that old Chinese curse?  "May you live in interesting times..."?

Anyway, what have I been up to this week craft-wise?

I finished the crockery wall hanging and it is now brightening up my kitchen.  I did trim the border a bit narrower before I added the binding.  This was a fun project, and I am tempted by some of the other projects in the book.  There are neat quilts that look like shelves with crockery all along them.

By the way, the bottom edge of this quilt is in fact straight - for some reason it looks bowed in the photograph.















I was looking in my cupboard to see what UFO I would tackle next, and I came across this crumpled rag.  Long-time blog readers may possibly recognise it (but I doubt it) as the Potpourri Quilt that I designed on the workshop with Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably when I went on the Hawaii trip a few years ago.  We worked on flannel design walls (the brown taupe) and before I packed away that day, I tacked every patch to the flannel with a Micro-stitch gun so I wouldn't lose the design layout while it was packed in my suitcase.  So now I need to take off a few patches at a time, iron them and seam them together, then put them back on the design wall to keep everything in the right place during assembly.








Yesterday we went on a day trip to Calais in France.  We are on the wrong side of London for the Dover ferry so it was a very long day  - we left at 7am and didn't get back until 10pm.  We did all the usual things in France:  I bought duty-free perfume, we picked up cheap wine and booze, I had Mussels in white wine for lunch, we hit the hypermarket for some bargain clothing, and a patisserie for a mouth-watering strawberry tart.  While we were shopping in Calais, I found the Phildar store was still there.  I last bought yarn in either that store or another, about 20 years ago.  It's strange by UK standards as it sells clothing, but at the back of the store is a well-stocked yarn corner.  And they had a bunch of discontinued yarn bagged up at 50% off.  So I picked up 10 balls of Phildar 'Croisiere', a ribbon yarn in 24% cotton/76% synthetic, which I thought would make a nice summer top.  I haven't knit in ribbon yarn before, but this seems fairly tightly woven and has a nice sparkly strip running through it.  Will have to knit up some swatches and see what it looks like knitted up.  My French is pretty abysmal and the store lady didn't speak English, but luckily we both spoke Knitting so I was able to check that I had enough for a short-sleeved sweater and to ask if she had any knitted swatches (she didn't).

During the long car journey, I was knitting.  I was even knitting on the way back in the dark, thanks to the round-the-neck light that I posted about a while back.  It worked quite well in the car - DH said that the soft light didn't distract him from the road.  I think it would be better to use it with thicker yarn - I was knitting on my Holden Shawlette in fingering weight, and found my eyes got a bit strained trying to focus on the lace stitches.  I also knit a bit on my Estonian Lace Shawl and on my Liesl Cardigan during the day.  Commuter knitting this week has been the Holden (I am about halfway through the lacy border now).  I've also been working on my Selbuvotter Annemor 12 Wedgewood gloves.  Those are the ones with the big problem with the charts for the fingers.  I think I have worked out a solution, and have knit a little finger and am started on the ring finger.  I will post on Ravelry once I find out if it's worked.

3 comments:

Marthaamay O_o said...

Work politics should be filmed for a show! They would get more ratings than Corrie!

Your crockery wall hanging looks really great! The blue, red and yellow is really homely.
I'm helping to make a quilt with the WI, although it's made of stitched vulvas... It's a campaign against female mutilation. I'm sure it won't be as neat and tidy as yours!!

swooze said...

Oh the drama! I too prefer a calm work environment.

Very productive week for you craft wise. I have changed my approach on what I work on where and seem to be finishing up many more things!

Daisy said...

The international language of knitting comes in very handy.

Can't believe the speed things are moving where you work. Zooooom.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]