Today I am on leave, which was planned and I was looking forward to doing lots of sewing, but haven't done very much today except to sew binding on the log cabin quilt that I quilted on the frame a few months ago.
Earlier in the week, I have been working on:
- a cross-stitch gift tag, using a kit from Cross Stitcher magazine, which I need to finish by the time we go to see the in-laws on Boxing Day.
- my pink Thorpe hat. I cut off the brim and ripped it back to the end of the increases on the top, and am re-knitting the sides on smaller needles to tighten it up.
- an old machine knitted chunky jumper. It came out well but I've rarely worn it because the high turtleneck itched my throat. I unpicked the ribbing to about half-way, and cast off so now it has a fairly open crew neck and is much more wearable.
- I've started a vanilla sock using Harry Potter variegated sock yarn.
- I've started another sock from the Sock Innovation book by Cookie A, this one is called Glynis, and I am using Cherry Tree Hill semi-solid sock yarn that I recycled from the second pair of socks I ever knit, Widdershins, which had come out far too tight.
The cover is basically a quilted rectangle edged in binding. A ribbon or tie is stitched on the outside to hold it closed, and a pocket is stitched on the inside right hand side, to hold the flap of the notepad.
Estimate measurements by placing your pad on a ruler. My pad was just under four inches wide, was about a half inch thick, and about 5 3/4 high. So I wanted my finished cover to be 9" x 6.5", to allow seam allowances for binding all the way around, and so that the coil binding was well inside the cover.
Add an inch to the cover measurements to give you some working room and cut out two pieces of fabric: one for the front cover and one for the inside cover. You can also piece the front cover, as I have done with the black & grey notepad cover. Sandwich the fabric around some polyester batting and quilt as desired. I meandered on the sewing theme cover, and used my walking foot to stitch straight lines on the other two, with a bit of a zig-zag pattern on the grey/black cover. When your quilting is finished, press the cover lightly then trim to your finished measurement.
Now add the ribbon tie. I sewed mine midway down the cover, starting from the centre of the front of the cover, and ending about a half-inch from the edge of the back cover. This will give you a tie that ties at the centre of the front. If you would rather have the tie at the edge, then sew to within a half inch of the front cover also.
Now add the pocket. I cut my pocket 4.5" wide and about 12" long, folded it in half lengthwise right sides together, and stitched down one long side. Trim the corner and turn right side out, press.