Monday, 16 July 2012

Orkney update, and yarn

I bought some yarn! It was from The Woolshed, a craft business in Costa, Evie, to the northeast of the main island, operating out of a traditional stone barn. It is Aran weight, 100% Shetland wool from sheep on the island of Hoy, and hand dyed in Orkney. It came with a pattern for a cabled beanie hat which I would like to start right away, but I dont have the right needles with me. The yarn is the colours of Orkney, blues of the sea, and the greys of the rocks.

The weather has been fabulous today, another day of sunshine which is a wlcome change after all the rain back home. This morning we drove to the Brough of Birsay, a small deserted island that is only accessible at low tide. We walked up to the cliffs and saw some puffins which were adorable. We were walking along a rocky defile at the top of the empty island, and found some yarn bombing. I couldn't believe it. There were several pieces of stockinet tied onto rocks with i-cord, and a lace 'tam' of ribbon yarn adorning a round rock, in the middle of nowhere. Then when we were back down at the Viking ruins for the talk, which I was happily knitting to, the guide mentioned the yarn bombing and asked if I were responsible! I laughed my way out of that one but then some baffled visitors were asking me what this 'yarn bombing' was.

Towards the end of the day we went into the town of Stromness, which had a judged handicraft show on. Lots of different crafts, including several knitted categories. All the knitting seemed to be a competition between two ladies from the same village, maybe some rivalry there? There was this lovely lace doiley which I think had won first prize.

I've been working on an ancient cross stitch UFO, and on day 10 of the Advent calendar lace scarce, and the end is sight for the knitted border on my Pipers Journey shawl.

2 comments:

swooze said...

Pretty yarn. Gorgeous scenery. Have fun!

Sarah Nopp said...

Ok, I need to go wander off and find beautiful yarns and whatnots to fall in love with. You have inspired me!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]