Saturday, 23 March 2013

Jobless shopping guilt

I cashed in one my Christmas vouchers ("I promise to take Sharon to...") from DH and he drove me up to Miniatura at the NEC in Birmingham today.  The weather was not promising, blowing snowflakes even at our end, and getting worse the further north we went.  By the time we got near Birmingham, we were driving past appropriately Christmas-card scenes of white fields and white trees.  We passed various accidents but only got held up once, and the road stayed fairly clear.  At the NEC, we donned our snow boots to wade along the paths to get inside the building, then I switched back to normal shoes and checked my various layers into the cloakroom.

I had a good time, despite feeling a) guilty about spending money while jobless, and b) frustrated at seeing things I would like to buy/make for dollshouses that are now packed and sealed in bubble wrap.

I did get two more resin dolls to be customers for my quilting shop in the Willowcrest, a knitted baby romper and knitted basket for the knitting shop in the Willowcrest, a 1/24th scale knitting bag kit to make up for the Fisherman's Tea Room and a second one which I may make up for the Fairfield, and two adorable pink wicker chairs which were the steal of the century at only £8 each (and a matching table).  And one of the new 1:144 kits from Petite Properties, the Rosebud cottage.  I enjoyed looking around, although I thought there would be more 60th anniversary stuff on sale/display, which there wasn't really.

Saturday is the preview day, you pay extra to go in on limited admission to get first grabs at things.  Usually it is pretty crowded, but due to the weather it was half empty so I was able to get round the entire show in about 2.5 hours instead of the 4+ it would usually take me.

On the way back, my very supportive DH even stopped at Hobbycraft in Staines to check out the yarn sale I had read about on Ravelry.  They have several yarns at 50% off or otherwise discounted, so I came home with some Regia sock yarn in two colourways and some Patons Fairytale Dreamtime DK pure wool which I might use for a baby surprise jacket.

I did a bit of knitting on my second quilt sampler mitten on the way back, but my thumb is inflamed again and a bit sore, due to the endless stitching of Clue 6 in the Unexpected Journey KAL shawl.  I thought we must be getting near the end but I've now found out that the finished shawl blocks at 72" by 36" which is just insane.  I don't know if mine is going to get that big. I expect the dimensions were stated somewhere in the instructions at the beginning but I never read things very carefully before I make them.








TV knitting this week has been the second block of the GAA Afghan, Clue 6 of the KAL, and playing a bit with the Sirdar Salsa! scarf yarn that I bought at Texere.  No commuter knitting due to being jobless.

In between packing for the move, I have done more machine knitting on the Alice Starmore Marina slipover, and am now halfway up the shoulders.  There was a nasty incident about 5 inches into it, when I absentmindedly threaded both yarns into one feeder and dropped half my stitches.  I thought I had picked them all up, but evidently not as there is now a 10p sized hole to one side.  By the time I noticed it, I was about halfway through (as a machine just forms new stitches on the empty needles) so I kept going and will be doing my best bodge-fixing swiss darning to hopefully make the hole disappear.  I want to get the machine knitting finished so that I can start packing up my machine shed as well.

I've now packed all my sewing stuff up - I can't believe how much I had crammed into my closet.  Several plastic crates of fabric have gone into the attic protected by clear rubbish sacks, and I have kept out the notions and tools that I think I might need.  I've kept out several project bags to work on, some of which I don't know if I am being overly optimistic about (hello, doublesize Hawaiian applique quilt) but it's hard to know how long the house is going to be on the market for.  If it's only a couple of months, then I've kept out too much.  If it's six months, then I probably hit it about right.

With regard to the knitting stash, I spent a couple of hours on Ravelry trying to put together a list of projects for about six months of knitting, using only stuff from my stash.  Very hard.  I've a tentative list, which I then worked from to pack up all of my knitting books that won't be required.  I've also packed up the rest of the sock and lace stash that was in the house. I'm keeping out all of my needles and tools, and most of the knitting bags.

The house now looks like a box factory exploded inside of it, and it is very hard to pick our way amongst the boxes for our daily lives.  But we've hired a van for a day over the Easter weekend and it's all going into self-storage including some larger pieces of flat-pack furniture that I've been taking apart.  After that it should get easier as there will be more room, and we can finish clearing rooms to start redecorating.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

What happens if prospective house purchasers want to look in the attic?!?!

Sandra said...

Your knitting always impresses me no end! How you manage to do so many things I'll never know. The mittens are lovely. Hugs, Sandie

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]