Tuesday, 9 July 2013

A big finish!

I finished my mystery shawl KAL!  This was the Unexpected Journey KAL on Ravelry designed by AlterLace.  Nine clues were released over about 11 weeks, with each clue relating to a passage in The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.

This sucker is huge - 71" wingspan.  I don't think I would have ever started it if I had known how big it was going to turn out to be.  And yet I really enjoyed knitting it.  Having it in manageable chunks really helped, and the stories were entertaining.  And it was good being able to consult the designer or the group if I ran into an issue or got confused.

This is in Madeleine Tosh Merino Light which I bought on our trip to Miami in February.  It's a pretty tone on tone yarn, single ply, colourway Volga.  I found it ok to knit with, a bit splitty and a bit too ready to cling to itself - but that made it easy to spit splice. I used three skeins, with 30g left over from the third skein. I bought the beads at Get Knitted in Brislington.

It took me about 90 minutes to block it, but at least in this weather it dried in a few hours.








2 comments:

swooze said...

Wow that is beautiful!

Daisy said...

Wow, that's both huge and beautiful! Looks good, especially draped around your gorgeous looking house!

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]