Saturday, 15 March 2014

Maybe I should just give up knitting altogether...

I am an idiot.  Apparently. I've spent the week struggling with my lack of yarn for finishing the borders of my Haapsalu Shawl and have just realised that I made a huge error when I calculated the number of stitches to cast on for the lace edges.  I mean HUGE.  Not just a couple of stitches.  I originally calculated I needed to cast on two pieces each of 631 stitches.  I've now realised that I actually only need 391 stitches for each piece.  If I could do math at all I would be able to tell you how much of a factor of error that is.

This realisation comes after I ripped back my first part-knit lace edging (631 stitches x two rows) to get enough yarn to cast off the second part-knit lace edge (for which I already ripped out my tension square including several partially felted nupps), which was no picnic in this mohair yarn which wants to cleave to its brethren.  After laboriously casting off the remainder of the stitches in the car on the way to collect DS from Oxford today, I stretched out the resulting lace edging and thought 'Huh, that seems a tad long...?'  This evening I compared the lace edge to the central panel it is meant to be sewn to, to discover there is so much extra length that it can wrap around the second end and start back up the other side.

This project has officially been No Fun this week, and now I am tempted to take the whole thing out into our rented garden and burn it - but only after stomping on it many times.  Because now I am facing having to rip out both lace edges (631 stitches x c 14 rows x two pieces, one of which has been cast off) in this mohair yarn, and then cast on two sets of 391 stitches, and see if I can make the lace edging a deeper width this time while still ending up with two edges of equal depth with enough yarn to cast them both off.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, ok.  Deep breath.  Put down the fluffy pink knitting and do NOT reach for the matches....

In brighter, less traumatic news, I picked up two exciting parcels from the post office today which have come all the way from America.

The first one is my first Knitcrate shipment, a scheme which ships you curated knitting or crochet goodies every month or two months depending on which option you choose.  It came in a jazzy red metallic padded envelope and inside were some tasty sweets, two really nice laser-cut wooden needle gauges, some gorgeous cherry blossom-inspired hand-dyed yarn, and a link to the shawl pattern to knit with them.  The yarn is actually a lighter pink and more flecked than it is showing in this photo. I like the shawl pattern, Ume by Andrea Rangel, but I need to finish the Desolation of Smaug KAL shawl first (we just got Clue 6).

The other exciting parcel was the laser-cut kit for my 1:48 replica Bliss dollshouse, which I ordered from Cynthia Howe Miniatures.  I think I will have to wait until we move to build it though. It has all the art work for the outside and includes a set of replica Bliss dollshouse furniture.

I've done some more miniature food in Fimo polymer clay.  I backtracked to the Bakery chapter when I found this excellent tutorial by IGMA Fellow Betsy Niederer which gave me a much more successful result for rustic loaves and baguettes.


Then I moved on to the next chapter which was Pork Pies.



These don't look as realistic because the mottling pattern of the 'fat' and 'meat' isn't right, but I still feel I am showing an improvement.  Can you see the little egg embedded in the rectangular pie?

I finished my Gilet in my bargain clown-barf yarn this week, it just needs some buttons.  I am off to the Knitting and Stitching show at Olympia tomorrow so I will look for some buttons there.  I'm also going to pick up some yarn for a hat, and for a pair of Fetching fingerless mitts, and for some crochet slippers because I'm taking a Beginner's Crochet class at the SkipNorth knitting retreat next weekend.


And I've made a start on my old UFO Aran Sampler Jumper in Jaeger Sport.  It knits to an Aran tension and I just couldn't get there even after dropping down to 3mm needles.  So I've started anyway using the 3mm, which is a bit physically laborious in such thick yarn.  I'm going to block it after I've got six inches or so, and see how I am doing on width.  It feels good to finally be knitting this project after hanging on to the yarn for over 20 years.

The diet is going well, I've lost 10 pounds now and can definitely see a difference in the mirror and my clothes are looser as well.

And we got some good news this morning - the owner of the house we want to buy has finally found somewhere they want to buy and they've put an offer in.  If their offer is accepted, then we can finally get this show on the road and stand a chance of moving by the time our lease runs out in early June.  Woo hoo!

1 comment:

swooze said...

Is this the house you sent me pics of?

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]