Saturday, 31 May 2014

Hooray, we did it!

Yes, we have finally exchanged contracts!  In the English house-buying process, this is the penultimate step before you 'complete' and get the keys to the new house.  Exchanging contracts makes the sale legally binding so anyone dropping out now would be subject to stiff legal/financial penalties. We will be completing next week so we will soon be homeowners once again.  And more importantly, I will once again have a sewing room  :)

I've been a busy bunny booking in lots of people to do stuff on the house next week or give us advice, and arranging appliances to be delivered, removers to move us over from rented in a few weeks, and kicking off the process to take over the utilities.  We've continued to pack up our stuff, and tomorrow we are going to have a big blitz on packing and cleaning so that the rented house will be ready when the letting agent wants to start showing prospective tenants around after we give in our notice. It's going to be a busy few weeks.

Today I went on a chalk painting course to learn how to transform furniture because it is so much cheaper to buy antique furniture than it is to buy new, painted, solid-wood furniture.  I'm talking up to £900 for a triple new painted wood wardrobe versus around £350 for an antique one bought on Preloved (an online selling site).  I want to have a pale-coloured bedroom suite in the new house so I was thinking I might have a go at painting furniture. We're going to hire a van and drive up north to some of the big antique warehouses next month with a shopping list for the new house. I could potentially buy several pieces and then paint them all the same colour to match.

The course was held at an Annie Sloan stockist and we were using Annie Sloan chalk paint.  It was a bit like painting with coloured gesso, it covers really well but it's quite soft and easily scraped off.  Once it hardens completely it isn't as soft, but it still scratches fairly easily so I don't know if it will stand up to frequent use such as a dressing table drawer opened daily.  On the other hand, it is dead easy to touch up again if you do scratch it.

I was painting the little hall table I bought at the vintage fair a few weekends ago, which is a reproduction not an antique.

I painted it with two coats of Paris Grey, and gave it a coat of clear wax apart from the table top which was having some issues with the original finish bleeding through from a knot.  I think I need to buy some knotting to seal the knot, and paint another coat of chalk paint over the top.  Otherwise I am quite pleased with how this turned out.  On the course we covered how to distress furniture but I didn't want to do that on this little table.  We also covered two-colour distressing, colourwashing, and using cracquelure.


Last weekend I finished a few more blocks for my Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt but now I've had to pack it all away, to conceal the evidence that I've been using the wall as a design wall.  I've still got my knitting , and have been working on the boucle yarn scarf very slowly (it's so hard to knit with) for commuter knitting.  I've started a pair of vanilla socks, and made a start on the lace panel for the bodice of the Low Tide vest.  I don't think I can bear to pack the rest of my knitting away or my needles, so they might just all go for a nice car ride to the new house next week so that I don't have to risk withdrawal symptoms. Ditto my Featherweight sewing machine for safekeeping so it doesn't have to risk being moved by the removal people.

We snagged another Billy bookcase on eBay to add to my collection for my future sewing room and/or our future study.  In my mind's eye I'm imagining a sort of 'U-shape' of bookcases in one end of the room.  My fabric will be stored on the inside of the U, safely concealed from the light from the window, and then the outside of the bookcase wall will be my design wall.  However, I'm not sure if the room is big enough for this or not.  We'll see.

3 comments:

Linda W said...

Congratulations! I can imagine you're anxious to get settled into your new home. Wishing you the best!

azterya said...

That's wonderful news.

Juana Adams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Miniature Collections

Miniature Net Ring

This site is owned by
ShinyNewThing

Want to join a
Miniature Network Ring?

[Next] [Previous] [Random] [List Sites]