Sunday 8 August 2021

Not much

 Not much else has happened in the short week since my late post on Monday.  I've been working on the second block of the Australian BOM, starting with the background details which will lie behind the 3D elements - there will be a teacup sitting on the doiley and a few other bits and pieces.  Having my own typed bullet pointed instructions is so much easier.



I have excavated my 'nest' of hobby accretions from the corner of the livingroom because we are thinking we will replace our gateleg corner in the table (permanently buried in my hobby stuff) with an Arts and Crafts style bureau desk that I bought on our Cumbria holiday.  I got fairly ripped off on it due to my own stupidity, I was so impressed with how nice it looked in the shop that I didn't really look at it very closely.  On delivery it turned out to have a number of defects, missing pieces, warped top etc.  Having thought about it for a while, I've decided to keep it and have a go at making it look better. I've taken all the hardware off in preparation for giving it a good clean and wax and I may have a go at replacing some of the missing bits if I can find some matching oak.


Some signs of normality resuming this week - the bigger lace group that I belong to had its first physical meeting since the pandemic - on a weekday so I couldn't go - with 20 people turning up.  And DH's modelling club is going to restart meetings in September.  I also saw in the Lace guild magazine that the Makit lace fair in October in St Ives is planned to go ahead.  DS will be going in to the office for the first time in well over a year on this coming Friday, then after that he is expected to go in two days a week.  He overheard us talking about how we will redecorate his room once he eventually moves out, which I think shocked him a little  :)


My office in its wisdom has decided we all need laptops instead of the little desktop boxes we've been working on - I think because in theory we are all now doing hybrid working split between home and the office so you would take your laptop into the office.  Obviously I don't want a laptop since I will be retiring soon, but as they don't know that yet, I now have a box of laptop sitting on the floor of the study.  My colleague friend said she lost a day and a half trying to get hers connected and working properly so I am really not looking forward to it.  I'm tempted to just keep using the desktop box as long as I can and see if anyone notices.  I'm also very glad that I won't have to be lugging a laptop to and from the office on my former daily train commute, dodged a bullet there!

I will finish with my discovery that Youtube has videos specifically for cats.  I noticed our cat was apparently watching my sewing Youtube video with me one evening, so I idly searched on Youtube for cats and was surprised to find dozens.  She was then glued to the screen for about 20 minutes watching birds and mice - it felt a bit like corrupting a minor.  She did bat the screen a few times but otherwise seemed to be treating it like looking through a window at the birds in the garden.






1 comment:

swooze said...

I used to play videos on my iPad for mt daughters cats. I was amazed at their reaction and interaction with the objects they saw.