Saturday 12 February 2022

Why does February seem longer than any other month?

 The cold damp weather continues, the weather is often gloomy, and the month drags on. I generally like to get out each day for a walk of at least a mile, but lately I really don't feel like going out although I still make myself do it most days.  And the leisure centre keeps cancelling the Aquafit class so I haven't gotten to many of those either.  I have tried a few introductory Pilates classes on Youtube, which has me struggling with pitiful attempts at micro-pushups - where did my upper arm muscles get to, has anyone seen them?


So even though my sewing room is very cold this time of year, it still seems like a nice retreat to be in.  I cut out the linen fabric for the linen Hinterland dress and was relieved to find I had enough fabric with some left over.  I've sewn the upper bodice and finished the neckline, and am currently working on the 3/4-length sleeves.  This is my first garment constructed with felled seams, which are the folded seams like you see on blue jeans.  They cover up the fraying raw edges of the linen and give additional strength.



In the evenings, I've been embroidering the Month 9 instalment of the Australian BOM - this month's theme is Broderie Anglaise and cutwork.  The appliques are fused on but you embroider around them to make them look like embroidered linen doileys. When they are all done then I will press them from the back which will flatten the stitching to make it look more even.


I tried out a cut file for an organiser box, measuring about 5 1/2 inches by 7, on my Brother Scan n Cut.  I thought it would be a quick project but it actually took me almost three hours!  It's because each component was too big to cut twice from a single sheet of card, so you end up putting 14 sheets of cardstock through the cutting machine.  The box is obviously not hugely robust, being only made from thin cardstock, but the walls and base are double lined so it's reasonably sturdy. I'm using it to gather together and hold all my lacemaking pincushions and pins.  If I made it again, I would shrink it down in size so that I can cut it out of fewer sheets of cardstock.

This week's downsizing was to go through two boxes of DS's old baby clothes and school/cub scout outfits.  The baby clothes in particular made me a bit teary, with lots of 'do you remember?'. I had mainly kept things that I, or others including some now passed, had made for him.  For example, I made this little outfit of a denim waistcoat and a buttoned shirt cut down from one of DH's shirts. I can remember how much love I poured into the things I sewed and knit for him, even if they weren't very expertly made. And how lovely it was to see him wearing them. Like the very stained t-shirt embellished with a cross-stitched 'Spot the dog', and a tiny sweatshirt with a homemade 'Thomas the Tank engine' applique on the chest.

Anyway, having discarded the obviously wrecked garments, and washing some others, I had put the remainder on the donation pile for charity. But then I had second thoughts and took back the above set plus a few other things made by relatives - just in case DS ever has children.  It doesn't seem very likely, he's adamant that he doesn't want any, but perhaps his girlfriend (or the universe) will have other ideas...  I'll keep them by just in case.


No comments: