Saturday 4 May 2019

Not much to report

After all the finishes posted last week, I have been somewhat resting on my laurels this week.  I had three late nights because of my Japanese class and machine knitting club so apart from some knitting on the train, not much crafting.   I've been knitting on my second red and white Sanquar glove and have just finished the cuff portion.  The first one is done now apart from darning ends in and blocking.  This week I had a lucky find of almost a year's worth of 'Knitting' magazine at a charity shop near my station - they only wanted £2.40 for it which I upgraded to £3 because I felt guilty.  So I've been enjoying reading through those and tearing out patterns I might use one day.

I've added more rows to my granny square crochet afghan while we were visiting the in-laws today but it is growing only slowly. Even DS looked at it and said I had a long way to go before it became a blanket. 

I've sewn another 6.5 inch block for my 30s Sampler quilt. It came out exactly the right size but with two of the points cut off on the piecing - I decided to take the win. I've also shortened some cropped jeggings that annoyed me all last summer by not fitting my manly calves very well, hopefully I will get some wear out of them this summer.

I had a go at machine knitting a tam from this video by Diana Sullivan but after three false starts, have still not got going on it.  It seems deceptively simple but in fact I've had a lot of trouble with stitches dropping off for various reasons (mainly operator error) so at the moment all's I have produced is a ribbed band.  M-i-l has decided that she has given up machine knitting so has given all her stuff to me, which is currently sitting in the living room waiting for me to go through it and decide what I want to keep and then the rest will go to charity. Perhaps there will be some easy patterns there for me to try.

Nothing on the Japanese dollshouse this week because I was waiting for the glue I ordered on Amazon to show up, and now that it is here I strongly suspect it is a knock off and not the authentic product so I haven't started using it yet.  I've queried it with UHU by email but probably won't hear back until next week, if it is a knock off then I will ask for my money back and complain to Amazon.

We went to a village plant sale we've done well at in the past, and picked up 10 assorted plants for the garden.  Very few of the plants are labelled - I picked up what I thought was cotoneaster but then had to put it back when someone told their neighbour it was Berberis and I realised they were right.  So I've got some mystery fuschias and petunias for our hanging basket, and some mystery geraniums for the shady spot under the apple tree.   But as our whole garden is a pottage of bargain plants, plants rescued from the 'sick plant' shelf at the garden centre, self seeded plants and inherited plants, a few more colours will just add to what I like to view as a cottage garden look :)

It's another bank holiday weekend here in the UK - love this time of year with all the short weeks.  More typically it is raining off and on.  We might go to a boot sale tomorrow morning but not if it is wet.  Because we need more stuff (not).  Enjoy your weekend!


No comments: