Saturday 4 May 2024

Thousands of photos later...

 One of the jobs this week, in between weeding stints in the garden, was to tackle the 4760+ photos that I took over seven weeks.  After retrieving them from their SD backup weekly folders, I split them into separate days then started the mammoth task of reviewing.  I've managed to whittle them down to 3600 - there were a lot of duplicates from slightly different angles, plus a lot of very dodgy 'through the bus window' attempts to capture passing scenery.  Out of the 3600, I am trying to pull together a representative selection of around 100 to show the in-laws, which is virtually impossible.  Without context, it just looks like more lakes, more mountains, more Maori carvings etc.  I've done my best.


At least I've got back to doing some crafts.  I finished the little coloured Bruge Lace flower that I started before the trip. It's a pattern from a German book with no translation other than Google so I was kind of winging it. Mistakes were made - but it looks cute.


Now I'm going to attempt a coloured lace border that incorporates flowers and scrolls, so I've wound a bunch of bobbins in preparation for starting that.

I tried out another carpet on my mini-loom in southwestern colours.  I still had trouble finishing it off neatly, even though I wove as close to the end loops as I could.  It's better than the first carpet but still a bit wonky. I don't know what the secret to finishing neatly is.
Mat 1 in a bathroom

Mat 2 in a shop

I'm re-making my travel knapsack which has been working superbly for two years but is now starting to fall apart a bit. I had to do a couple of emergency repairs on the road during the last trip.  This time I am using a heavier weight waterproof canvas for the exterior, in the hope that the new bag will be a lot more waterproof than the old one and thus eliminate the need to carry around a separate rain cover.  I'm using the same pattern as last time, and trying to remember all the hacks I have since added so that I can re-create the same useful bag.  I'm off to Latvia in a couple of weeks so hopefully I will get it done by then.

Before the waterproof canvas turned up, I got out one of the fabric picture kits I bought in Tokyo last year from Sakura Horikiri.  This kit makes four little bag charm sumo wrestlers.  The two on the left are doublesided with a dangly cord and bell.  The two on the right I am keeping one-sided for the time being, because I may use them in another picture. The kit includes foam shapes which you glue fabric around, and all the fabric and accessories. The picture instructions are in Japanese but Google Translate did a decent job.


DH has also been busy. He has a new rust effect paint, so he kindly aged a tin bucket for my Japanese house and also this set of cheap 'copper' pans. They look so much better.

I finished the last blocks for my Lori Holt 'My favourite things' quilt and sewed the centre top together.  It's already almost too big for my hanging bar in the hallway.  I don't think it's very suitable as a bed quilt because of all the buttons and embellishments (the jar will also be covered in buttons after quilting) so I intended it to be a wallhanging.  But I'm not going to have room to add more than, say, a two inch border which is going to look a bit skimpy.  I will have to think what's best to do.  I substituted some actual vintage crochet doilies for the designer's 'doiley' block (because hers was going to be incredibly dense with eight layers of fabric and stabiliser stacked on each other).  My scissors and four pincushions came out too big but I think they are ok.  Overall I am fairly pleased with it so far, nice and cheerful.


On my holiday I started cross-stitching the third house from the CrossStitcher 'Houses of Britain' SAL - I am way behind and the SAL has now concluded after a dozen patterns.  But I've put in a lot of stitches this week, and it won't be long until I can start the extensive back stitching that outlines all the architectural details.






1 comment:

Chookyblue...... said...

your Lori quilt looks great......good to have the top together.....
I took over a 1000 on the NT trip and ow trying to whittle them down to see what I want to share on the blog.........to many different things......goodluck