Saturday 17 August 2024

Progress but no photos

 This week has been mainly progressing ongoing projects, so I don't have many photos because it's the same stuff as last week.


- cross-stitch harbour scene - I'm on chart two now and have taken the risk of correcting my mistake in starting position by cutting off the top of the canvas and splicing it back onto the bottom.  I used fusible woven interfacing strengthened with machine stitching. Hopefully the join won't be too obvious.


- Estonian mittens - I'm plugging on with the second mitten, I'm almost to the decreases at the top.


- Longarming the Australian BOM - I've stabilised the quilt now and am trying to decide how to do interesting motifs for decoration that use pantographs.


- the stick and stuff foam picture of birds (kit from Japan) is coming on.  This seems quite straightforward, like painting with fabric by numbers. But it's actually a bit tricky to correctly position the fabric on the odd-shaped pieces and get it stuffed down neatly without gaps or too much fraying.  I like how the picture is gradually revealed.


- I've been thinking about which quilt project to tackle next, and I'm thinking it might be time for a very longstanding bucket list item: a Double Wedding Ring quilt.  This is like my nemesis project because I'm not an accurate sewer, I'm not good at precision sewing or sewing curves, and I don't enjoy repetitive block projects.  But I've always wanted to make a DWR.  I bought John Flynn's book back in the 90s, and also a Quilting from the Heartland book and template set from Houston in 2001.  But the Flynn method you have to sew every arc seam twice (he re-sewed strip pieced segments to create an angled seam) and the Heartland set looks too hard with shaped joining pieces and few registration marks.  I looked at some Youtube videos this week and two other methods look promising: foundation piecing the arcs (I don't enjoy foundation piecing though) or a template set called the Cutrite Slit and Sew Double Wedding Ring by Quilter's Paradise.  I ordered the latter from Amazon this week, it arrived broken in inadequate packing so I had to return it, the replacement also arrived broken so I've given up on Amazon and will have to look elsewhere.


- and I've been spending time on my dollshouse kit, especially because it's nice and cool down in the basement.

1 comment:

MeMeM said...

I remembered seeing a great video by Donna Jordan of Jordan fabric where she makes a quilt using the template you attempted to buy :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CtzclxUZDu8