I have continued to plug away at my attic room this week. I decided to replace the ingenious but space-inefficient folding desk where I kept my bobbin lace stuff, with two IKEA Billy bookcases. DH kindly went to a nearby town to pick one up secondhand for me that I bought on FB marketplace. The other we had to buy new from IKEA yesterday, after a very long day picking up DS then driving 2.5 hrs down to visit the in-laws in their respective retirement abodes, then back to DS, IKEA, then finally home after 10.5 hours on the road. We are both feeling a bit wiped out today. With the new bookcases, I can rehouse the bobbin lace stuff, and get a lot of the junk journalling stash up off the floor. It's not there yet but already looking much better. Meanwhile I now have a massive pile to take to the charity shop: tatting books, a big bag of acrylic yarn I will never use, a bunch of clothes that I don't wear, a cushion that sat on the chair that I sold, and various other oddments.
I finished the Petworth Miniatures 1:48 scale Pride and Prejudice box, after assembling the internal furniture kits including lasercut candelabra about a whisker in thickness. It looks ok, some of the finishes aren't perfect, but the interior light shining through the window is kind of cool.
I finished the first of the
Norwegian houses socks from the kit I bought in Norway. You will notice that it isn't actually a sock. I have so many handknit socks already, plus this wool is quite robust so I think a sock would be too hot to wear. So instead I have turned it into an anklewarmer to wear in the winter with trousers. I had to knit the charted portion twice. My first attempt, although it did fit my leg, was too tight and the tension was very bumpy where I had caught the floats on the back. I changed to a slightly bigger needle and purposefully did not catch floats very often, so the second attempt is much more elastic. I've started the second one now.
I'm still working on the backstrap weaving (still struggling to weave a consistent width), the cross stitch monogram and other projects. I've put a warp on my loom to weave some placemats but haven't actually started weaving yet. I haven't done much in the sewing room this week apart from search for my sewing glasses which have completely disappeared. I looked everywhere and underneath everything but no joy, so I guess I will have to buy a new pair. They were bifocals set for the top half to view the sewing machine needle while sitting in front of the machine, and the bottom half set for closer up for handstitching and threading needles.
The biggest time suck this week (apart from driving to Worcestershire and carting furniture up and down the stairs to the attic) is a new video game I've started called Tainted Grail - the Fall of Avalon. It is apparently billed as the Arthurian Skyrim and it certainly feels a lot like Skyrim. I've got enough levels to be temporarily enjoying myself running around exploring the open world and collecting loot.
No comments:
Post a Comment